PDA

View Full Version : Off Road X-pipe

99blackcobra
04-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I have an 99 cobra. I recently bought a BBK off road X-pipe; I ran into a really bad resonation problem. I got on their website and it said I will have this problem with flowmaster system. So I called the Flowmaster tech line and they said that I could go with on of their universals however it is weld in. Is there a company that makes a bolt in pipe, that sounds good with Flowmaster mufflers?

cobrabitn
04-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Maybe it is just me or maybe I am wrong but here is my take on it. I don't think any kind of muffler you get will eliminate your problem unless you get a stock type muffler where you would lose performance. I personally don't like X-pipes, not that there is anything wrong with them, it's just not my personal preference.

A lot of your resonance (drone) will depend on your gearing and your highway cruising speed. Also the indexing of the driveshaft may have a part in it. If it were me, I'd go with an H-Pipe and keep your flowmaster catback on there or switch to magnaflows.

venomnous99
04-18-2007, 12:27 PM
Honestly, having had two different OR x-pipes, including one with the stock mufflers, they always had some kind of drone to them. And then when you add in the common droning noises of the 99 Cobra, like the rear end and drive shaft drone at highway speeds, this becomes much more evident. I now have an H-pipe, because the x-pipe would not work with the turbo set up, and the sound is greatly improved, in my oipinion. I would recommend the h-pipe over the x-pipe hands down now, of course hind sight is 20/20. Also, I do not know that there are any performance differences, because the h-pipe came witht the turbo's. This is just my experience, and I had the x-pipes on for over 2 years, with three different types of mufflers, including straight through SLP Loudmouth originals, and the drone was always there.

cobrabitn
04-18-2007, 09:03 PM
BTW Ken, I liked your display at Autofair!! :thumbsup:

03slidewayzSVT
04-18-2007, 10:36 PM
Turn the radio up...or ear plugs:D :dunno:

venomnous99
04-19-2007, 09:33 AM
BTW Ken, I liked your display at Autofair!! :thumbsup:
Thanks Tony. I guess I just wanted to display for the club, and show what was done to the car without all the trouble of taking off the bumper. I think next time, even with the display, I will take off the bumper to keep people from climbing under the car.:rotf: But the show car thing is easy for me, clean it as best as I can, and thern try to meet and greet the others since I rarely get to any events. Actually met quite a few great people this time, and hopefully more next event. My car is driven most days that it is not in the shop, so it never was, and probably never will be a show car. But it looks pretty good for a driver. Trying to get it safe enough that the wife will let me onthe track with it. :thumbsup: But I will still support the club through the shows, as many others here do. Thanks for the compliment.

venomnous99
04-19-2007, 09:34 AM
Sorry to hi-jack your thread.:thumbsup: Loud radio will definitley work.:rotf:

97Whitesnake
04-22-2007, 12:47 AM
I know that the flowmaster have a tendency to drone more than other brands. You might want to consider replacing the catback instead of the pipe. It will be more expensive but you should have no problem selling the flowmasters to offset the cost. There is a website (I think its www.mustangexhaust.com ??) The site has sound bites of almost all exhaust combinations that you can think of. Or... keep the set up you have now and add some sound detuning (sp?) material under you carpet and rear seats.