PDA

View Full Version : 18x10.5 rear tires and lowered 2"

sssvtcobra
04-25-2007, 12:26 AM
I was hoping someone could give me the answer to my question.

I just bought the AFS 18x10.5 rear tires for my car. My car is lowered approximately 2-2.5" (coilovers not sure the amount of drop). The car is a 2004 Cobra. If I buy just the low profile IRS subframe bolts from M.M., will I still need spacers? If so will the 1/8" work? I'd rather not run any spacers at all if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance for any and all input :thumbsup:

ausie
04-25-2007, 06:50 AM
You could compare back spacing of the 18x10.5 to one of the wheels you already have. Here is how I would do it, place a flat board across the back of the wheel and measure the perpendictular distance from the back of the hub (part that would be up against the rotor) to the bottom edge of the board. And do the same to the 18x10.5 wheel. If the 18x10.5 does not have a tire mounted to it, to get an idea for tires, measure the amount of overhang of the tire from the lip of the wheel and add it to the backspace measurement to the 18x10.5. This will give you an idea of the backspacing with tires on the wheel. If the measurements are the same, you should not need a spacer. However, if you are planning on some meaty tires (wider drag radials) they will overhang the lip more. Depending on how wide the tires are, you may have to use a wheel spacer to gain more clearance.

puzzle13
04-29-2007, 09:41 PM
You will not know until you put the tires & rims on the car! Make sure you still have the other rears so you can put them on after you see what you need. When I put my 10.5's on the back with Goodyear 315's the passenger side went on perfectly ... the drivers side did not! I ended up trying different size spacers and ended up with a 1/2" spacer. Some need larger ... some don't need any at all.

sssvtcobra
04-29-2007, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys,

I went ahead and bought the low profile bolts from MM, and 1/8" spacers. Hopefully they will work out alright. According to the details of the wheels (backspacing and etc.) I should be alright. I'll post a reply and let everyone know and for future any people interested.

FST ORNG
04-30-2007, 06:45 AM
BTW , put the car on the ground after you bolt up the wheels and tires , the IRS bolt should be alot lower and almost lower than the lip of the wheel. I am running 18x11 , used the IRS bolt from MM and also a 1/2 inch spacer and love the look but I think your tire choice will determine if you need the spacer or not ! What tire you running? The 315 BFG 2 runs about a inch to a inch and a half wider than say a 315 Nitto . Good luck

sssvtcobra
05-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Hey thanks,

I was supposed to be getting the Toyo T1R's, but believe it or not Toyo was on back order for them (I even called Toyo myself and asked). So instead I'm getting a tire called Vredesteins. They have all the same ratings as the Toyo's as far as spec's go. And sopposedly their just as good as Toyo's, Perellie, BF Goodrich, and etc. We'll see I guess. The size in the rears are 295/35x18. The tires look pretty flush with the rim, but they're not on the car yet either.

FST ORNG
05-01-2007, 12:38 PM
They should fit fine!

ausie
05-02-2007, 06:41 AM
Vredestein ULTRAC tires look sweet. Did not see tire sizes that would fit but the site I looked at was limited. Looks like they make some good winter tires and may consider them when my Dunlaps wear out (which will probably take another 5 years or so, I drive my Cobra in the winter but not in the snow). Since the tires have a higher content of silica in the compound that will improve wet traction without compromise to dry grip. Let us know how you like them.

sssvtcobra
05-03-2007, 12:17 PM
First update-

The tires and wheels went on fine, but I will need to get bigger spacers. After I got them all on I checked the clearance and the bolt is about flush with the tires and wheels. Even though the bolt sits lower, I would have a better piece of mind knowing the wheels and tires are a little further away from the bolt. After driving on the tires for awhile and getting an alignment I'll let everybody know what I think of the tires.