PDA

View Full Version : oil seperator

svtvnm
04-26-2007, 09:49 AM
G'day guys, finally got my cobra were I want it with mods but the only concern I still have is the embarassing smoke i get when I start up, One of the top Ford tuners here in OZ has a seperator available for the 5.4lt engine availabe in our XR8 and GT Falcons but the PC Valves are not in the same spot on the valve covers. Does any one have instructions or diagrams on how to build the seperator, I am a bit of a mechanical dumby but I could give it a go.

ausie
04-28-2007, 11:20 AM
How large is the oil separator? Does it mount on the valve cover or is it a remote set up like the air/oil separators commonly used but intended for use with air compressors. The ideal type should not restrict the PCV flow but prevent oil mist from entering the intake. JLT true cold air has a small filter that fits on the valve cover and the PCV valve fits into that and can be used with the breather side as well. It is not just the PCV line that will draw in the oil but the majority of it will the PCV line. What I have for the breather side is the SHM filter which is much larger than the JLT part. I repacked it with a foam filter cut from an AMSOIL air filter. I machined a PCV valve canister at work for the PCV line which has reduced much of the oil consumption. Had I known of the JLT part I would have considered that first.

If you can, is it possible to post a link to the oil separator you are considering?

http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/online/product_info.php?cPath=103_99_30&products_id=1054

http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7_20&products_id=23

svtvnm
04-29-2007, 08:10 AM
Thanks for your reply turns out the oil seperator available here in Australia is the same one that was on the Sean Hayland Motorsport webpage. So first thing monday I will ring up here and hopefully get hold of it. Thanks.:thumbsup:

ausie
04-29-2007, 11:18 AM
That part is only for the breather line (passenger side valve cover) and it will not fit on the drivers side valve cover due to interference from the clutch cable (I have thought of a way to modify for use with the PVC valve but it is too big to fit on the drivers side). I would also use the JLT pre filter on the PVC valve as well which will reduce the amount of oil passing throught the PVC valve.

Even after installing the SHM part, I found some oil in the intake tract in front of the throttle body (mostly due to the 0W-30 racing oil I had in the car at the time). This is when I repacked the filter with a different medium which now keeps the intake clean.

ausie
04-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Nice looking ride by the way :thumbsup: What type of wheels are those? They look great :cool: .

svtvnm
04-30-2007, 04:15 AM
That will not be a problem because clutch cable is on opposite side on my car because of the right hand drive. I have had a look at the throttle body today to see any oil residue, there was only a very small amount. Thanks for the information. I am pretty sure the wheels are Enkie brand, It originally had 18" Cobra R wheels but I decided on the set that is on it now.

ausie
04-30-2007, 07:48 AM
I forgot that OZ drived on the opposite side. I do remember seeing one or two of the Australian (Ford) vehicles at one of the Car shows in the states.