PDA

View Full Version : Rattle Noise

Drew
04-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I have a 97 Cobra with 38K original miles. I am hoping someone can help me identify this noise. Last year I grenaded two pistons in my motor. (Thatís what happens when you put 20 psi to a cast piston, in fact I ran the car for 3 year with 16 psi and no issues.) I just finished rebuilding my motor, forged pistons, rods, and the crank came stock forged. New ported cylinder heads. Vortech supercharger (20 psi), every nut, bolt, accessory is new. And the engine has a custom tune. The car runs great!! But between 2800 and 3200 rpm's I hear this rattling noise from the engine, and I hear it in all 6 gears. I did a leak down check on every hole. Leak down was less than 10% on all 8. I pulled the cam covers, no issue found. As I stated everything in the motor is new, except the timing chains. I thinking there may be some slop in the chains and just at that frequency stats to rattle. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Any thoughts? Thanks.<o:p></o:p>

blk04cobra1
04-26-2007, 01:09 PM
can you tell if it's coming from the front or rear of the motor?

Drew
04-26-2007, 05:19 PM
I have been waiting for the weather to clear here this week to take the car out again. I have a set of chassis ears that I want to use. I have taken several people for a ride in the car and all beleive the noise is coming from the engine. Can not confirm if it is front or rear of motor. I will have a better idea this weekend when I am abe to use the chassis ears. Thanks.