PDA

View Full Version : Import to Domestic

PackerManDan35
04-28-2007, 11:31 PM
Hey guys. First post here.

I currently have a 2003 RSX Type-S but want to get another car soon. For my next car, I'm thinking of a muscle car and the 2003-2004 SVT Cobra seems to be my favorite. I like everything about it....

except the sound of the supercharger. I know most people who get the Cobra love the sound but to me, when I hear videos of it, it just seems like it would be really annoying to hear that whining noise everytime the gas is pressed down hard.

If I got a Cobra I would want to fix it up heavily. I've heard of people going all the way and getting a Kenne Bell supercharger for the Cobra. I've seen videos of Cobras with the KB supercharger and it just seems like the whining is even louder. Most people would say, hey if you want the car, shut the hell up about the whining. But in my case, I do want the car, but not sure I want to deal with the whining. So....

My question/s....

1) First of all....how do you guys like the Cobra? Is it a good car? How do you feel about it's performance? Reliability?

2) I've heard of a silent-driven supercharger. How does that work? And could I end up getting that to replace the stock supercharger on the Cobra? And would it function just like a normal supercharger except it wouldn't make the whining noise?

3) Also I've seen some videos of turboe Cobras, and I think they are awesome. And of course, I love the sound of a turbo so much more than a supercharger. But if I was going to turbo or twin-turbo the Cobra later on....wouldn't it make more sense just to buy a regular GT mustang and twin turbo that instead of spending a lot more money to get the supercharged Cobra when I would be taking the supercharger off later on anyways?

Sorry for the long first post, hope some people can answer my questions.

Big T
04-29-2007, 12:22 AM
You could get a whipple supercharger and the whine will be quieter compared to the kenne bell. I love the whine of a supercharger. As far as the twin turbo goes, I would think that the 03 cobra transformation may be cheaper and a lot easier than a GT conversion simply due to the ability of the cobra internals to withstand very high horsepower levels. I did my whipple install and I'm a novice when it comes to cars. There's not many cars that you could spend 5-7K and have an easy 600+ rwhp.

JROC
04-29-2007, 04:49 PM
A Terminator is a simply spectacular idea or something like that. :D

I use to have a GSR and there is no comparasion between the two. Many people will agree with you about getting a Turbo kit for their Terminators, as Turbo's are more efficient, but me personnally, I like making full boost at 2500 RPM, and having an amazingly flat torque curve. If your looking for a Muscle car to make big power with, but don't want to hear a blower then there's always the LSX camp. A Terminator is so much more than a Mustang GT. My advice to you is to go test drive one and you may just start to like the S/C whine when you experiance instant boost instead of having to wait until 6,000 RPM's for it.

1) First of all....how do you guys like the Cobra? Is it a good car? How do you feel about it's performance? Reliability?
I love my Cobra, it is a great car with a built motor from the factory that can handle a whole lot of power reliably and make it easily. Still, the more power you put in any car the less reliable it becomes, but the Modular motors have proven to be very reliable motors. Terminators do have a few weak area's though

2) I've heard of a silent-driven supercharger. How does that work? And could I end up getting that to replace the stock supercharger on the Cobra? And would it function just like a normal supercharger except it wouldn't make the whining noise?
Haven't heard anything about this, but as was previously stated, Whipple blower are much quiter than KB blowers, or as you have said you could go with a nice Turbo kit

3) Also I've seen some videos of turboe Cobras, and I think they are awesome. And of course, I love the sound of a turbo so much more than a supercharger. But if I was going to turbo or twin-turbo the Cobra later on....wouldn't it make more sense just to buy a regular GT mustang and twin turbo that instead of spending a lot more money to get the supercharged Cobra when I would be taking the supercharger off later on anyways?
Terminators came from the factory built to take forced induction and will handle alot of boost, and are very easy to make extra power with. If you plan on making a GT handle the kinds of power that a 03/04 Cobra can, you will need to get a bottom end built with forged parts. That may end up being cheaper though as you can get a nice GT for much less than you can a 03/04 Cobra.

tazzracing1
04-29-2007, 10:34 PM
I have done the tuner cars and several different muscle cars. I have had a few mustangs and 2 Cobras and the 03 is just the best in my mind and is the easiest and cheapest to upgrade for the cost. Good Luck with your choice and hope we help you out in some way.

ausie
04-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Most of the time the supercharger whine is not all that bad (depending on load and RPM). If you want it quiet, leave the factory exhaust in place and the restrictive snorkel on the air box and you will not even hear it (will not be as loud ). I have grown to like it actually. Sometimes I push the car hard just so I can hear the supercharger :) . The thing about tubo's, may be a bit more quiet under boost but the blow off valve will not be. In some cases, the high pitched scream of the turbo can be just as annoying.

secondchance
04-30-2007, 11:36 PM
Hi PackerManDan,
The supercharger whine is part of the terminator experience. Take it away and you're driving something else. RSX to Cobra is a pretty big switch. Are you sure this is what you want? I really enjoy mine, a fine whine ages well. My GT doesn't whine (yet), but it doesn't scream either. Live with it awhile and see if it grows on you.
Welcome

ausie
05-01-2007, 08:10 AM
My ex-wife used to have a 1998 Integra R (do not remember the full designation) which was a few model years prior to the RSX. Not that bad for a little light car, but a bit flimsy on the back roads since it bottomed out constanly followed with flight off the road surface. My 2001 Cobra was a far cry above it not to mention performace was a different class all together. There is not much to compare since the vehicle platforms are that much different. If I had to rate the fun factor, the 01 compared to the Integra, the 01 was able to pull me away from the steering wheel, where as the Integra was okay for a front wheel drive car, it was quick but did not have that top end acceleration. The Terminator in stock form will provide insane acceleration when you want it where the 01 took a while to catch up. There will be a huge difference between a rear wheel drive performance machine when compared to a feather light front drive car. The Acura is more of an entry level vehicle geared to younger drivers which is similar to the Lexus 300 sports sedan. I would not doubt that the car could be tuned to the point of insanity, but I think the platform lacks that solid feel that the Cobra Mustang (or even the production mustang GT) provides. I have never been air born with any of my Cobras nor have I bottomed out at higher speeds on the same roads where the Integra had issues.

venomnous99
05-01-2007, 01:37 PM
Well with the exception of riding in the Supercharged beasts, my experience with them is limited. However, boy are they worth the ride. Speaking from the GT versus Cobra, owning a 99 Cobra, I am in similar waters as the GT. The bottom line is, the 03 Cobra's, with proper tune have held in excess of 800 RWHP on stock bottom end and heads. Not only that, but with minimal investment, the drivetrain will handle the power also. Or you end up like me. I have a car with all the potential to make 800 plus RWHP (HP 57mm Twin Turbo), yet the stock bottom end, the heads, the transmission, and the rear will only hold 500 for a while if I am lucky, until I can bulletproof all the above. If you go the GT route, you look at the same dilemna, having to rebuild the motor, buy a beefier trans, buy a beefier rear, and then fortify it all. I can assure you, looking at the cost mine will entail, I will go out on a limb and assume the 03 would have cost me much less, and I could use all the power I now have on tap. Just my $.02 worth. I would go 03-04, as I should have. :thumbsup:

venomnous99
05-01-2007, 01:38 PM
By the way, I do love the feel and the looks of the Cobra. And although I am not up there with the big boys, I have plenty to scare the _______ out of anyone along for the ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :D

ausie
05-02-2007, 07:46 AM
If you go the GT route, you look at the same dilemna, having to rebuild the motor, buy a beefier trans, buy a beefier rear, and then fortify it all. I can assure you, looking at the cost mine will entail, I will go out on a limb and assume the 03 would have cost me much less, and I could use all the power I now have on tap. Just my $.02 worth. I would go 03-04, as I should have. :thumbsup:
That is exactly where I was in mid 2004, contemplating what to do to the 2001 Cobra as far as mods are concerned. I wanted more power but how much do I really want to spend. In short, I took the easy road since the upgrade from an 01 to an 04 was less expensive than upgrading the engine, trans, rear end, etc... of the 01.