PDA

View Full Version : 1996 - to supercharge or not to supercharge

Doc Holaday
05-07-2007, 12:42 PM
I'm a fairly new owner of a very clean low mileage 1996, am beginning to research adding a supercharger and need some honest answers from people who really know. My performance interests lie in take off power up to let's say 80-100 mph. Top end is not my interest. I've been told that adding a supercharger will not increase my vehicles take off acceleration and in fact could reduce it to some degree. Is this true? Are there any suggestions out there as to what mods I should look into to meet my interests.

Thank you,
Doc

venomnous99
05-07-2007, 08:28 PM
Gears and getting the power to the ground would be the starters. As for SC, I do not know as I have turbos. But I do know that you have to get the power to the ground, and even stock, the suspension will not do that. Tires would be a good idea also. Others can correct me if I am wrong, but seems reasonable to me that screw type may get you there better then the other options. Also, correct me if I am wrong experts, but wouldn't NO2 do this in good fashion also. Sorry, wish I had more advice, but I am looking for exactly the opposite, 200 MPH:eek: :thumbsup: !!!!

ausie
05-08-2007, 06:40 AM
based on the model year there may not be too many options in a positive displacement supercharger (probably due to the dual runners and IMRC's). I did talk to an owner of a Cobra of a 97 which is similar engine wise. Kenne Bell did have a kit for that but will not be intercooled. In order to keep the discharge temp cool you will have to add a Methanol injection if you desire more than 6 psi of boost. If you want more power in the low end, the positive displacement is a sure bet which will increase the amount of torque at the low end which translates into wild launches. The centrifugal type (compressor is similar to that of a turbo but driven differently) will add more paracitic losses in the lower RPM range but will provide much more boost at the top end. Roots or positive displacement compressors work best with low RPM engines where as turbos and Centrifugal compressors are better suited to the high RPM engines.

A change in rear gear will also increase torque at the rear wheels and improve take off if when accelerating. Changing to a 4.10 should improve the launch a bit more than the stock gear without the need for a supercharger. I would probably start off with rear gear first since that is the lower in cost than adding a supercharger.

blk04cobra1
05-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Both very good answers above, but i'll add mine.

First off, im assuming this will be primarily a street car? If so, then adding a supercharger will be more benefitial than say N20 b/c the power will always be there, you wont have to flip a switch. As for "starting" power, a twin screw setup would be optimal b/c you'll get the low end grunt that you're looking for, but IMO a centrifugal or turbo setup would be best. Depends on your budget, which you havent really stated what that is. Venomous is also right, getting the power to the ground is the key. The stock solid is a good start, but you'll want to consider upgrading your control arms and possibly your axles, depending on how much power you want in the long run.

So I guess, fill me in on your budget and what your long term goals would be. Typically speaking, the stock motors can handle upwards of 450rwhp when tuned safely.

SuperG
05-08-2007, 10:06 AM
I have a '97 with a Vortech and it definitely has more power through the rpm range than a stock 96-98 Cobra (I have driven my friend's '96 before he Procharged it). Therefore, the answer to your question is yes, there is more take-off power.

Also, as stated above, it depends on your budget. A SC's power is always there and sure is dang fun! Of course, I am basing that on the rare occasion that I actually drive it!

tcrews
05-08-2007, 10:13 AM
I added a Vortech SQ to my '97 Cobra and lost nothing from any rpm range (HP or TQ). At least nothing in the dyno measurable range on my car.

I did gain 150+ rwhp and around 90+ rwtq.

Just a quick look at my dyno charts...

starting at 2,500 rpm and going up 500 rpm increments..

TORQUE NA vs SC
2.5k - 254 vs 261
3.0k - 256 vs 273
3.5k - 254 vs 286
4.0k - 273 vs 315
4.5k - 271 vs 336
MAX 275 vs 367

HORSEPOWER NA vs SC
2.5k - 123 vs 126
3.0k - 145 vs 155
3.5k - 166 vs 186
4.0k - 207 vs 239
4.5k - 233 vs 290
MAX 275 vs 433

The only change I made was adding the supercharger.

But if you car is stock, I'd look at adding some exhaust mods and gears (4.10's minimum) as they will help out with making the car quicker (plus be beneficial when you do add a supercharger).