PDA

View Full Version : 1996 - to supercharge or not to supercharge

Doc Holaday
05-07-2007, 02:06 PM
I'm a fairly new owner of a very clean low mileage 1996 Cobra, am beginning to research adding a supercharger and need some honest answers from people who really know. My performance interests lie in take off power up to let's say 80-100 mph. Top end is not my interest. I've been told that adding a supercharger will not increase my vehicles take off acceleration and in fact could reduce it to some degree. Is this true? Are there any suggestions out there as to what mods I should look into to meet my interests.

Thank you,
Doc

john_anch_ak
07-24-2007, 02:39 PM
From what I understand about supercharges, what you say is correct. You also have to be concerned about other stock parts of the car not being able to withstand the added torque.

John

SuperG
07-24-2007, 03:29 PM
Well, from my limited experience, here's my take on that question. First of all, compare a SC'd car to a stock car and you will find both the Torque Curve and the Hp Curve will have shifted upward over most of the rpm range...that is, there is more Tq and power along most of the rpm band...so I am going to have to say that yes, it is quicker off the line.

However, don't judge my take-off times, since I suck at taking off. But on the rare occassion I actually have a good launch, I am all over a stock SN-95.

All things being equal (driver, tires, weight, etc) a SC'd Cobra beats a stock Cobra in the 1/4 mile everytime, right?

As to the parts taking unbearable loads...yes there are some breaking points. But at an additional 80(ish) extra Hp to the tires, most everything does fine.

marshman 442
09-05-2007, 10:55 PM
SC is the only way to go..:thumbsup: adds 125HP safely and always on tap.

As for TQ / HP these 4valve motors love them. As long as you keep the boost at around 6 psi you will not have a problem. In fact Vortec comes with a 36K mile warranty....Attention must be given to the fuel system on any SC application. Leaning out a blower motor will kill it instantley. Also, the trick is putting the HP to the street....no matter how you make it.... that is where your low end launch improvements will be felt.

cobrabitn
09-06-2007, 07:14 AM
If you want take off power...go get a set of 4.56 gears and that'll give you an instant kick in the pants! :thumbsup:

I have never heard of or seen a stock Cobra beat a supercharged Cobra. Redsnake99 had his vortec on his car for over 140K miles. :eek:

STANGBUM
09-06-2007, 11:08 AM
My S/C has been on for about 5 yrs now, :) no major problems, :thumbsup: also added 4:11 gear, some chassis upgrades, and I have enjoyed it. and yes it is much quicker.. IMO. :cool: Also put MSD ingnition to help with my overreving ( it redlines at 6700rpms just to be safe) and help stop detonation. :D

SuperG
09-06-2007, 12:32 PM
My S/C has been on for about 5 yrs now, :) no major problems, :thumbsup: also added 4:11 gear, some chassis upgrades, and I have enjoyed it. and yes it is much quicker.. IMO. :cool: Also put MSD ingnition to help with my overreving ( it redlines at 6700rpms just to be safe) and help stop detonation. :D
I was wondering if MSD Ignition helps...

STANGBUM
09-06-2007, 12:51 PM
I was wondering if MSD Ignition helps...

It was recommended by the installer of the S/C, I told him I would sacrifice some HP to be a little more on the safe side. :D

RF Cobra
09-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Doc, sounds like the person you were talking to was confusing turbocharging and supercharging.

aseyller
09-08-2007, 09:13 PM
Doc, sounds like the person you were talking to was confusing turbocharging and supercharging.

Since I'm new to all of this too...what is the difference?

RF Cobra
09-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Since I'm new to all of this too...what is the difference?Turbos run off the exhaust so they will have some lag before they can kick in since the engine will need to be putting out enough exhaust pressure to allow the turbos to spool up and generate boost. The superchargers run off the engine so they can create boost quicker. Some newer turbo setups are more efficient and spool up faster so the lag is a lot less than with some older turbo setups.

As an example, we had an '87 Tbird Turbocoupe running 18lbs of boost. If memory serves correctly it was somewere around 2500-3000 rpm before the turbo was putting out close to full boost from a standstill. The Cobra's supercharger is already at full boost before that. So with the turbocoupe there was a few seconds delay before you got a surge of power while in the Cobra you get a good kick as soon as you stand on the gas.

Turbos are great midrange and up power boosters because they are more efficient since they run off the exhaust. But if you are concerned with low end to midrange power output then the supercharger is what you want.

I wish I still had the article and link to a website a guy did where he provided all of this info by first putting a supercharger on the car he had and then switching to a turbo setup. He ran both using the same amount of boost on each and it was incredible to see how much hp was actually being used to power the supercharger vs how little was needed for the turbo. That is why some of those on the board seeking max. usable hp have switched their 03/04 Cobras to turbos. With the right setup and tune, the brief lag on modern turbo setups is overcome fairly quickly by their ability to provide more usable hp to the rear wheels at a given boost level.

As I think about it, I think there was one kind of supercharger setup that actually did take a little bit to get spooled up sort of like a turbo. But the Eaton and Whipple and Kenne Bell used on the 03/04s put out boost practically instantly from a standstill if you jump on it.

aseyller
09-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Very interesting...think I'll stick with my stock setup until I hit the track a few times. I want to feel what I've got before I try to up my power any.

Thanks for the good explanation!