PDA

View Full Version : intake temps

Big T
05-19-2007, 06:29 PM
I have been fooling around with my datalogger trying to learn how it works. My coolant temp runs around high 190's after it warms up. Also my intake temp is around 104 at 20 mph and 92 around 60mph. Are these #'s hot? What are good #'s for these?

ausie
05-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Do you have a means to measure ambient air temp? The ideal would be to have the inlet air temperature to match that of ambient vrs it being influenced by engine heat (block radiation or from radiator). A CAI is supposed to improve the inlet air temperature but there will still be some influence from the engine radiant heat but not as much as it will be when using the stock air box without silencer or some of the other kits similar to the FIPK K&N or JLT RAI. At lower speeds the temps will increase due to the limited air flow throught the radiator. The pocket of hot air will enter the intake. One other factor is the location of the inlet air temp sensor which can be influenced by engine heat if the inlet pipe becomes warm.

Big T
05-20-2007, 12:52 PM
my cai is a modified BBK system. I love the polished look. It was originally designed for the fenderwell, but I was having idle trouble. I cut it off and the filter sits in my engine bay. I'm going to get a heat shield box to keep it separated from the heat a little more. I was also trying to see if my coolant was on the hot side because I have had air pocket trouble in the past. I think I got all the air out but I'm not sure. Thanks for the input.

Taylor