PDA

View Full Version : coupe or vert???

fire_mike
05-22-2007, 07:47 PM
I'm going to sell my 2000 GT soon and then buy a '03-'04 Cobra :headbang: . I'm not sure if I want a coupe or a convertible. I really like the top down idea, but I'm worried about the performance difference. How much difference is there between the two? Also, does the vert have some sort of subfame connectors from the factory? Thanks in advance.

mojosvt
05-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Go drop top, and never look back:D The only performance issue I ever had with my vert was the DRIVER!!!!:thumbsup:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l265/mojosvt/Gingerman2006021.jpg

HPDE at Gingerman
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l265/mojosvt/Gingerman2006009.jpg
411 Auto-X in Tenn
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l265/mojosvt/DSC_0029.jpg

Local SCCA Auto-X with Tire Trailer (thanks again Rick, Still love the trailer!)
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l265/mojosvt/HPIM0972.jpg

LiveCobra
05-22-2007, 09:04 PM
I don't know about the subframe, but I can't tell you how many sunny days there have been where i wish i had a vert. In fact I was even thinking about inquiring about how i could put a professional sun roof in at least...but of course only if it would be done right...if anyone knows of any reputable shops in Houston that may be able to do it...let me know.

cobrabitn
05-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I have two coupes and one convertible so I guess the coupes win! :D

I think it really depends on what you like to do. If you just like to cruise and show, get a convertible.

If you like to run your car on the track or the dragstrip then a coupe is in order. I don't recommend verts for any type of track event. It's not that people don't use them on the track, it's that I don't recommend it. ;)

However, the best solution is to get one of each. :thumbsup:

JROC
05-23-2007, 02:08 AM
Coupe FTW! :woot:

XCOBRAX
05-23-2007, 06:11 AM
It all comes down to what you want.. I have a vert and love it. But.. I also had the Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix Subframe System put in to stiffen it up. Plus, you get the jacking rails. It's so nice to be able to jack the whole side of the car up at one time.

Which ever one you get.. you're going to love it!

SuperG
05-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Top down days > track days by far, probably.

If you are worried about performance, then spend a few bucks to make up the slight difference. Coupes have absolutely no option on sunny days.

This is my first 'vert and I will never get a coupe again.

mojosvt
05-23-2007, 09:08 AM

If you are worried about performance, then spend a few bucks to make up the slight difference. Coupes have absolutely no option on sunny days.

+100000, I have a coupe now, and I do love it, NEXT ONE WILL BE A VERT, NO QUESTIONS ASKED!

fire_mike
05-23-2007, 10:05 AM

Either way I go I plan on spending a little on performance upgrades. . . i.e. x-pipe, catback (magnapacks maybe), JLT CAI, 2.8 pully w/ larger idler, larger heat exchanger, dyno tune, and Eibach sportlines (I know they are not 'performance' but I figured I'd include it in my upgrade list).

Anyone see any issues with these plans or have any other ideas?

mojosvt
05-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Those all sound good. But you have to do the proper suspension upgrades, especially if you are going to do any tracking. Billetflow IRS brace, Full Length Sub-Frames, and new IRS and Diff bushing help a ton. Those are good starters.

Larry95
05-23-2007, 11:38 AM
However, the best solution is to get one of each. :thumbsup:That sounds like a good idea---hey wait a minute, I did do that :thumbsup:

VenomSVT
05-23-2007, 08:16 PM

This is my first 'vert and I will never get a coupe again.Agreed!!! Putting the top down on a nice sunny day is awesome and there are several of those days here.:cool: I also spent the money to make it track ready, so I get the best of both worlds!:thumbsup: GO VERT!

nckissfan
05-23-2007, 09:00 PM
it is nice letting the cool air blow across my bald head:D , I like both coupe and vert. When I bought mine, I didn't intend on getting a vert, just got a decent deal on it.

COBRA_ESQ
05-24-2007, 08:12 AM
The verts have subframe connectors from the factory but are not a solid as after market. A strut brace is a must add, especially if you are going with the vert.

The performance difference is not that relevant unless you are going racing and even then there will always be someone faster. On the other hand there is nothing as great as when she (the car lol) is topless

blk04cobra1
05-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Ive got a coupe...but want a vert...Cobrabitn is right, only solution is to have both :thumbsup:

fire_mike
05-24-2007, 01:11 PM
The verts have subframe connectors from the factory but are not a solid as after market. A strut brace is a must add, especially if you are going with the vert.

The performance difference is not that relevant unless you are going racing and even then there will always be someone faster. On the other hand there is nothing as great as when she (the car lol) is topless
How much of a pain in the a$$ is it to put aftermarket subframe connectors on a vert?

blk04cobra1
05-24-2007, 02:00 PM
How much of a pain in the a$$ is it to put aftermarket subframe connectors on a vert?
not bad at all...

COBRA_ESQ
05-25-2007, 07:47 AM
Don't use bolt in go with weld in. It is not that expensive.