PDA

View Full Version : Two questions. . .

fire_mike
05-25-2007, 04:49 PM
Are long tubes really worth the money and PITA to put them on?

How much power can a stock cobra engine handle without seriously shortening its life?

Sonic03inSC
05-25-2007, 06:18 PM
Are long tubes really worth the money and PITA to put them on?

How much power can a stock cobra engine handle without seriously shortening its life?
I would make it one of the last mods. I have a Whipple @17 psi and have not done the LT yet.
I don't think you can really answer the last question. Any mods will shorten the life but by how much is anyones guess. I have 60k miles running 17psi Whipple, its been on for 9k miles there is no telling how long it's going to last.

spincobra03
05-31-2007, 04:38 PM
the only major advantage LT will give you is the ability to drop back pressure which in turn I guess allows you to run with more boost at lesser pressure? If that sounds right? someone jump in if im way off, also I agree with sonic about the unpredictability of a highly boosted stangs longjevity but I will say this IF YOU BOUGHT THIS CAR TO BE A HIGH MILE MACHINE... DONT START MODDING!!! and by that I mean high levels of boost, not your basic bolt ons...there ok.

spincobra03
05-31-2007, 04:39 PM
oh yeah and from what I have seen and been told LT's are a PITA to install

blk04cobra1
05-31-2007, 07:17 PM
We've seen gains upwards of 30rwhp with the addition of longtubes. Yes, they are a PITA to install, so expect to pay anywhere from $400-$600 for the install.

fire_mike
05-31-2007, 11:44 PM
We've seen gains upwards of 30rwhp with the addition of longtubes. Yes, they are a PITA to install, so expect to pay anywhere from $400-$600 for the install.I'd install them myself if I do them at all. I have access to a shop with a lift so that should help.

ausie
06-01-2007, 06:53 AM
Considering the gains per dollar value, that is a high price to pay for 30hp.
The gains are much higher for a naturally aspirated engine than a force fed. As far as how much is too much? it all depends on what is done and not done. More boost increases engine heat. Increase the boost you should also improve on the cooling systems (more efficient heat exchanger and radiator).

mkkrs1
06-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I picked up 24rwhp and 47rwtq when I did long tubes and offroad X.

ausie
06-02-2007, 08:13 AM
I would guess that the LT's would make a difference depending on what mods you have done to your Cobra.

InfamousSVT
06-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Long tubes have their ups and downs.

Pros: more torque, nice sound, better flowing exhaust (less backpressure)

Cons: PITA to install, anytime you want to do a clutch swap you have to remove them, ground clearance etc..

It's all up to you, but on a stock Cobra you aren't going to see your money worth until you get up past the 550rwhp mark for the long tubes.

The engine life of your Cobra all depends on the tune and how aggresive you drive it, but why would you pay the price for the car if you're just going to let it sit in a garage all the time.......Drive it like you stole it! :thumbsup:

red04svtcobra
06-02-2007, 03:07 PM
I have shorties by JBA and where installed when I bought the cobra, do these need to be taken off for a clutch swap too. I also love the sound!!

puzzle13
06-02-2007, 08:04 PM
I have the BBK Long tubes installed by MM Performance. The horsepower gains were small, but the throttle response was a great improvement. They do let the engine roar at wot. My real reason for install was for added cooling while running hard on the open track. Would I do them again ... hell yes! Do I have more than 500 rwhp ... no, around 475 and 510 rwtq. Did I lose torque ... none, and I have the BBK H-pipe with cats. I guess it depends upon what you want. I am a full believer that the more you push the engine, the better it is to let it breathe.

InfamousSVT
06-02-2007, 09:03 PM
I have shorties by JBA and where installed when I bought the cobra, do these need to be taken off for a clutch swap too. I also love the sound!!

No you won't have to remove the headers for a clutch swap, just the mid pipe.

blueblazes
06-03-2007, 12:19 AM
some longtubes require you to remove them when doing a clutch some dont, not exactly sure on which ones do and which ones dont.

The gains arent really that great from them ive read quite a few threads where people would only get 10-15 more out of the car. Given that you have to drop the kmember to put them on I dont really see them as being worth it.

the guy that posted previously he picked up 24hp and 47tq seems to have a highly modded cobra and I would almost be willing to bet most of his gains came from xpipe as opposed to the longtubes.

All in all they are a super pita to put on and you could prolly spend your money elsewhere and get more return on your money spent

Pulley, tune, cai, catback would all be better investments