PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question?

svtvnm
06-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Just got my oil seperator for my cobra and I am assuming the direction of flow from the cam cover to the intake plenum is indeed going from cam cover to the plenum? The kit comes with a in-line valve so the flow has to be right so that it works correctly. Even though there does not seem to be a factory fitted part that this is replacing. The 5.4lt 32valve(I think they are based on the triton V8) engines fitted here in our GT Falcons have a factory fitted valve on the cam cover?

03slidewayzSVT
06-01-2007, 02:45 PM
Is your car right hand drive???

Bartman01
06-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Is your car right hand drive???

Based on the license plate and amber turn indicators on the fenders I would say yes. Is it really a US '99 that has been converted to RHD, or is it one of the Australian 2000 Cobras? Given that it is missing the extra in-bumper lights that the 2000's got, I am guessing a US '99 that was converted.

Bartman01
06-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Just got my oil seperator for my cobra and I am assuming the direction of flow from the cam cover to the intake plenum is indeed going from cam cover to the plenum?

Yes, it should filter out the oil flowing from the cam cover to the intake plenum.

ausie
06-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Positive crankcase ventilation flows in both directions. The primary direction of flow should be considered from valve cover to intake on the breather side and valve cover to pvc valve connection on the intake plenum. When the throttle is closed or when opened slightly, the flow starts from the intake pipe through the breather line into the valve cover, through the block passages, then out through the PCV valve and finally into the intake plenum. As the Vacuum pressure equalizes between the intake plenum and valve cover relative to RPM increase, the PCV valve closes and the Positive crankcase flow reverses but at a lower vacuum pressure since the PCV valve is closed. Increase in crankcase pressure witll flow out throught the breather line and into the intake.

red04svtcobra
06-02-2007, 03:11 PM
Do we need to install seperators on our cars? Lightning really need them but I thought these where ok without them. If so which one is the best to get.

03slidewayzSVT
06-02-2007, 06:37 PM
Yes, Chris they do...I used to have a oil separator...Then the oil that was in the separator got suck though into to lower intake...So I deleated the entire PCV system all together....

ausie
06-03-2007, 10:25 AM
The only oil separator that may cause problems are the ones that are restrictive to air flow. Those air/oil separators that are intended for use with air compressors will work but they also restrict the flow of gasses which could result in an increase in crankcase pressure. The air/oil separators are more suited for use as they were intended, high air pressure applications. Use of a condensing filter (JLT prefilter or the SHM breather filter) will allow for the oil to stay where it should be (in the block) and permit the combustionable gasses to be evacuated through the engine. The use of a breather system is fine but keep in mind the vapors that are released are flammable. One other issue with the small breathers used on the valve covers is that they will saturate and spit oil out onto the engine. I once tried them on my 01 but too much oil was emitted onto the valve covers which seemed more like a fire hazard than a fix for oil consumption. The lack of proper baffles in the valve covers is the main problem with oil syphening. The better approach is to use a dual line breather cannister that relocates the filter element away from the hot engine surface as well as utilizing a catch can to collect the oil. The problem with this is that there is no room to mount it in the engine bay area. Even with that, you have to dump the oil out sometime. The prefilter approach will eliminate that problem and will keep the oil in the crankcase where it belongs. It probably will not eliminate oil consumption but will reduce it. That is just my 2 cents worth.