PDA

View Full Version : Not starting...HELP

Grey Storm
06-03-2007, 10:54 AM
This car is a '98 Steeda Cobra with only 24,000. We were taking her to a car show...backed out of garage...I detailed the engine...she wouldn't start. Turns over, but will not start. Here are the things we have tried so far.

1. Disconnected one of the tach adapters, the other is almost fused together from heat I guess..........and disconnected the MSD box to see if she starts without the MSD inline.
2. Removed a plug wire......no spark........car still has original plugs?????
3. Changed plugs.
4.Changed the pigtail electrical connection for the crank sensor.
5. Pulled the codes from the ECM............none.
6. CEL goes out while car is "cranking over"..........therefore, cranksensor is receiving a signal.
7. Noticed theft light flashing while car is "cranking over".
8. Problem should be PATS in key or steering column.
9. Had Ford program 2 new keys today and check for codes with their computer.
10. PATS codes were present............cleared codes and reset PATS.
11. Tried to start car..........no flashing theft light, but still will not start.
12. Checked for spark.........no spark.
13. Disconnected MSD and checked for spark............none.
14. Checked for voltage at electrical pigtail to coil packs...........no reading.
15. Re-connected MSD, checked for voltage at electrical pigtail to coil packs...........minimal reading.
16. Checked all fuses.
17. Car is getting fuel...can smell gas after cranking.

Battery charger is on car........noticed the MSD box is warm to the touch.
Is this normal?

Also, found out that in 1998, Steeda still used a "chip" to program their cars............reflashing the ECM did not happen until late 1999 / 2000. I removed the chip and also tried several things..........I don't believe it is the chip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Grey Storm
06-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Okay...here is something strange, last night Dennis tried to start the car again and the Theft light started flashing again and this morning he tried to start again and the Theft light is NOT flashing:confused:

jimmysidecarr
06-04-2007, 01:58 AM
Check/try disarming the alarm... Mine would not start once at MSR... had an anti theft code.

I set the lock/alarm(Ford add on alarm w/ factory remotes)... then opened/disarmed it... and it started.

I was trying all kinds of things and I just need to cycle the alarm a couple times..

also try the valet mode switch...

PATs can do it too... try a spare key... Do 98s have PATs???

Grey Storm
06-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Well...looks like it is the MSD ignition box. Dennis spoke with a tech and he thought it might be connections. Then Dennis told him he backed the car out of the garage, detailed the motor and then it wouldn't start. The guy at MSD said there was a voltage spike that fried the MSD box. He said they see this alot with show cars because they aren't driven enough to keep a good charge on the battery. Hopefully this is the problem.

jimmysidecarr
06-07-2007, 02:39 PM
That's good you are making some head way with it.

Great AVATAR BTW!!! :naughty: :thumbsup: :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v134/jimmysidecarr/THUNDERBOLT/technical%20stuff/jessicagun.jpg

97CasperCobra
06-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Glad you got it all worked out Dennis & Tammie!!! :thumbsup:

Hope you two make an appearance at our Cobra Nationals in Nov. I want to see the new Saleen and of course the Bad Steeda Cobra.... :cool:

Grey Storm
06-07-2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks guys. Well we popped her off...it was the MSD. Dennis bypassed the MSD with the adapter that came with the new ignition box. He also took the chip out. She ran a little rough...but she ran:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jimmysidecarr
06-08-2007, 12:02 AM
GOOD DEAL!!! :thumbsup: