PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I fixed my hesitation and about to get my tune!

cobrawannabe
06-05-2007, 08:36 PM
I took the old motorcraft spark plugs out and they were greyish looking and the gas was .005!! I don't think they were firing to well. I gapped the tr-6's at .035 and put them in the cobra and BINGO!! That fixed my hesitation problem on the spot!! Now I am working with Dan at pro tune to get my car tuned. Dan, if you are reading this post, my aunt has a lap top I can use so, no problems there!! Thanks guys for all the recommendations on trying to get my hesitation problems resolved. One question though, is it normal for the green light (supercharger, I think) to come on sometimes while hitting the gas a little bit? It goes off and doesn't come back on, just sometimes it shows up and I don't know why.

blk04cobra1
06-05-2007, 10:40 PM
I took the old motorcraft spark plugs out and they were greyish looking and the gas was .005!! I don't think they were firing to well. I gapped the tr-6's at .035 and put them in the cobra and BINGO!! That fixed my hesitation problem on the spot!! Now I am working with Dan at pro tune to get my car tuned. Dan, if you are reading this post, my aunt has a lap top I can use so, no problems there!! Thanks guys for all the recommendations on trying to get my hesitation problems resolved. One question though, is it normal for the green light (supercharger, I think) to come on sometimes while hitting the gas a little bit? It goes off and doesn't come back on, just sometimes it shows up and I don't know why.
lol...if it's the little green light i think you're talking about, that's the traction control :thumbsup: ...there's a button under the radio to where you can turn it off...just know that if the car starts to wheel hop (bounce) get out of the throttle or you might be replacing a halfshaft :D

cobrawannabe
06-06-2007, 01:17 AM
boy, do I feel like a jackass!! Goes to show you how much I know. I have been so stuck on 300zx twin turbos that I know nothing about American made vehicles. I drove my 300 today and the only thing superior to the cobra is the inside. Everything in the 300 still works like brand new and everything looks new. The fit and finish is just worlds better but the cobra has everything else!

blk04cobra1
06-06-2007, 10:10 AM
boy, do I feel like a jackass!! Goes to show you how much I know. I have been so stuck on 300zx twin turbos that I know nothing about American made vehicles. I drove my 300 today and the only thing superior to the cobra is the inside. Everything in the 300 still works like brand new and everything looks new. The fit and finish is just worlds better but the cobra has everything else!
dont feel bad, im sure there have been worse questions asked ;) ...hey, at least you changed your own spark plugs :thumbsup: ...just remember about the wheel hop thing b/c it can break things quickly

red04svtcobra
06-06-2007, 03:26 PM
Gap at .005 GEEZ, no wonder why it was hesitating!! Nice to see you got everything fixed, I may end up trying to tackle it myself next month. :thumbsup:

Pro-Dyno
06-06-2007, 06:06 PM
Glad she's runing better :thumbsup:

cobrawannabe
06-07-2007, 02:12 AM
Hey Dan, I want to get a pulley before I do the tune. What pulley does everyone recommend? It doesn't look to hard to change that pulley on the supercharger. If I change the pulley, I HAVE to get a tune too, right?

red04svtcobra
06-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Hey Dan, I want to get a pulley before I do the tune. What pulley does everyone recommend? It doesn't look to hard to change that pulley on the supercharger. If I change the pulley, I HAVE to get a tune too, right?
you will definitely need a tune once you put the pulley on.

Pro-Dyno
06-07-2007, 11:57 AM
The pulley depends on what you are going to do in the future. if you will eventually port the blower or add a lower. I would start with a 2.93 if you are going to leave it alone. I would go with a 2.76 or 2.80 I would also add an auxiliary idler and you will need the pulley puller for these cars. or you could go with a 4 # lower and you do not need the puller and yes you will definitely need a tune after words.

:thumbsup: Hey Dan, I want to get a pulley before I do the tune. What pulley does everyone recommend? It doesn't look to hard to change that pulley on the supercharger. If I change the pulley, I HAVE to get a tune too, right?

XCOBRAX
06-07-2007, 12:19 PM
The pulley depends on what you are going to do in the future. if you will eventually port the blower or add a lower. I would start with a 2.93 if you are going to leave it alone. I would go with a 2.76 or 2.80 I would also add an auxiliary idler and you will need the pulley puller for these cars. or you could go with a 4 # lower and you do not need the puller and yes you will definitely need a tune after words.

:thumbsup:
I'm running a 2.80 and a 2# lower with a ported blower. If I had it to do over, I would have gone with a stock upper and a 4# lower. This combo seems to cause less slipage. Unfortunately, changing out the lower pulley is much harder than the upper and a 4# lower requires a new alternator pulley.

03slidewayzSVT
06-07-2007, 02:59 PM
I'v got a 2.76 upper and a 4lb lower with a Stiegmeier IV port..If I were to do it over I'd do a 3.10 upper and a 6lb lower...Oh andhttp://www.carolinarides.com/forum/images/smilies/prodyno1.gifhttp://www.carolinarides.com/forum/images/smilies/prodyno1.gif:thumbsup:

Y2KCOBRA88
06-07-2007, 07:32 PM
dont feel too dumb. i took mine in for service for that light. i thought it was the supercharger light coming on at first. lol

blueblazes
06-09-2007, 12:12 AM
wow its been so long since ive seen that light I had to stop and think wtf is the green light he is talking about heh.

Yeah if your going with aftermarket pulley there are some good combos out there.

For an unported eaton 2.76 or 2.93 with no lower is good start. Or you can go with a 4# lower as others have stated both ways are good. Wouldnt reccomend going with both though just yet as it is a bit much for an unported eaton because it will create alot of heat.
Alot of people start out with a 2.76 and a set of billetflow idlers, because it retains stock belt and is usually easiest upgrade and great place to start. You will need to get a pulley puller or find someone local who has one that you can borrow. Billetflow sells a great setup see later on for link to billetflow.

If you do get a ported eaton the most common setup of choice is a 2.93 and a 4# lower. This is the "money" spot for eatons. It spins the blower to its max capability without overspinning it.

The addition of a lower pulley setup will require the use of a larger alternator pulley to slow it down. The alternators are prone to going out on our cars unfortunately, most people believe it is due to heat soak since its in kinda a bad location. So make sure that you get the right pulley for the lower that you run.

I would reccomend billetflow pulley setups they are good quality and they can set you up with all the idlers and everything you need for your upper pulley setup. Here is a link to billetflow. http://www.billetflow.com/

Here is a link to the pulley pages at billetflow
http://www.billetflow.com/IdlerBracket.htm

Also here is another site with alot of great information for our cars. From belt sizes with different pulley combinations to what ifs and how to's.

http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm

Hope all this helps if you need any more info just ask!