PDA

View Full Version : American Iron at Putnam Park

bolt-on
06-11-2007, 03:44 PM
Janice and I spent the afternoon at Putnam Park Raceway (southwest of Indy) on our way home from an Indiana SAAC car show in Brown County State Park. The purpose of our detour was to visit with Rick and Jayne McNutt (who were participating in the NASA HPDE). As a bonus Dean Smeltzer and Fred Fetzer put on an entertaining duel in the AIX class of the American Iron race. Dean had to move up to AIX as his engine was making too much power to run in AI. Dean edged Fred for 2nd in AIX with a very fast blue fox body from Cincinatti running away from them for first. Dean, how about livening up this forum with a little commentary and results from the events you run?

johnbasf
06-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Dean, you gonna detune???

Dean95CobraR
06-14-2007, 04:48 PM
Dean, you gonna detune???

Well, I'm going to try. Last year I had my horsepower where I wanted but the torque was way too low. I was losing 20-30ft/lbs over the other guys. Over the winter I had the motor completely torn down to have everything freshened up so I had a new cam put in it. Also I changed the intake from a Victor Jr to a RPM Airgap which should have given me more torque. From those 2 changes, the torque went through the roof. No matter what I did with my restrictor plate, the torque would never go down enough. I didn't have enough time to make any changes to bring it down. I went ahead and raced AIX that weekend.

Since that race, I have taken off the Air gap and put the old Victor Jr back on. I am hoping that it will drop the torque enough to make the motor legal. I still need to get it to the dyno sometime next month.

A couple of weekends ago I took out all the restrictors and ran Watkins Glen. Wow, what a blast. :bounce: If you guys ever get the chance to go, do it!!! :thumbsup: It is my favorite track at this point but I still haven't ran VIR yet. :(

johnbasf
06-14-2007, 11:41 PM
Great to see you hangin' in there Dean. Good luck.

bolt-on
06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
AIX cars on grid at Putnam Park with CMC cars across pit road.