PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Stiffner

Exposed
06-21-2007, 10:34 AM
I am doing some mods on my 2003 Cobra. I am looking at a couple of options for adding strength to the stock rear end. Billetflow offers an IRS Brace that bolts on to the rear end housing. The other option I see is a rear end girdle by Ford Motor Sports or Granatelli Motor Sports. They look the same except for the embossed logo.. Anybody got an comments or recommendations on which is the better way to go.. They all are between $160-200 range...
thanks

XCOBRAX
06-21-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm using the Billetflow brace. But.. I've never heard of one cracking with any of the available units. These are intended to keep the housing from flexing enough to crack.

red04svtcobra
06-21-2007, 06:11 PM
I have the billet flow one and like it.

puzzle13
06-22-2007, 12:38 AM
I think mine came from Steeda? Not Billetflow, but theirs was pricier. Mine works great, never had any problems.

Exposed
06-25-2007, 04:23 PM
After looking under my 03 this weekend, this looks like it will be a job to install... Anyone got an comments on installing it or some pointers???? Looks like now would be a good time to change that fuel filter hanging above it....

blk04cobra1
06-25-2007, 07:06 PM
After looking under my 03 this weekend, this looks like it will be a job to install... Anyone got an comments on installing it or some pointers???? Looks like now would be a good time to change that fuel filter hanging above it....
looking at about an hour and a half to install...not too difficult, but can be a little trouble...you should be able to do it on some jack stands in the driveway :thumbsup:

puzzle13
06-26-2007, 05:36 PM
I think it took less than an hour to do and I did mine on my back with the car on ramps. I did have a little insight as I had already taken apart the back end at a previous time to change all the bushings and springs.

You can do it and it is not that bad ... just take your time and make sure everything is back together correctly.

JymBart
07-01-2007, 02:11 PM
I have the billetflow IRS brace, ...no problems.

Here's a link with directions and photos.

Hope it helps.
JymBart

http://www.mafterburner.com/IRS_COVE...STALL_LONG.pdf (http://www.mafterburner.com/IRS_COVER_BRACE_INSTALL_LONG.pdf)

Exposed
07-03-2007, 05:42 AM
I got the brace installed... I guess I cheated and made it a little tighter working. I did not remove the exhaust or rear end mount. It was tight but with right wrenches and extensions, got it all in... DId have to raised the rear end slightly to install the bolt that centers the bracket in front of it. Also lower of the 2 larger bolts was about an 1/8" long. Even on an angle, could not get in. So I sawed off the 1/8" and then it would clear to go in... Took about an hour so not back. I have another one to do on my son-in-law's 03 probably next week... thanks for the input....