PDA

View Full Version : Over heating

valightning
06-23-2007, 05:10 PM
I drove my 03 Cobra into town yesterday for alignment work ( 15 mi. ) It went into " limp " mode and stsrted spraying water. At the alignment shop I saw that the fan was not working and replaced it. My question is, are the water pumps on these cars prone to failure after they have been hot? Are there any other things that I should check out or replace after overheating? Will be at VIR next weekend and don't want problems.

Richard
VALIGHTNING

ausie
06-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I am not sure if the water pump has suffered damage. If the seal or weap hole on the pump is leaking may need to replace it. I would check the water temperature sinding unit (there is an on board diagnostic that you can use to see operating temperature on the odometer, note: readings will be in Centegrade ). I will post a link for how to get into the diagnostic mode below.

If the fan was not turning on when it should, two things could cause that, one is low level of coolant or air pocket around temperature sensor. The other issue is a faulty relay or fuse.

Link for on board diagnostic: Diagonstic is known as HEC intrument cluster diagnostic mode. This will work on the 03/04 terminators as well. This function was available from 99 on up.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm

Blk03Venom
06-27-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with the water pump. I guarantee your water pump is fine. I have owned 2 Terminators and have replaced fans in both. Unfortunately, the fans in them are s**t. I have talked to other Terminator owners here in Houston and they have had the same problem. I think it's a common thing for them. I had no problems after replacing the fan in both cars.