PDA

View Full Version : Floor Jack Tune-up Question

SuperG
06-29-2007, 09:51 AM
Well, last night I discovered my floor jack isn't grabbing at the early part of the push down (jack-up) on the lever...wassup with that?

What do I need to do to "refresh" this thing? I don't see any leaks...

Thanks!

cobrapace94
06-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Depending on the jack, there are seals inside that have blown out. If it is a quality name brand jack, they sell seal kits for them that can fix it. You have to take the hydrolic cylinder apart and replace all the rubber O rings. If it is just one area that does not work, it could be that the shaft has been scored or pitted that causes the fluid to leak past and not go up.
If it is a cheap jack, just replace it with another. Most times the jack gets jacked up to high, blowing out seal and O rings.

SuperG
06-29-2007, 10:46 AM
Well, I've been wanting a newer, lighter one...Mine is like 40 pounds but has lasted for quite some time...

sssvtcobra
07-02-2007, 06:14 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Superg. I went to do the wife's rear brakes last night and as soon as the jack got to the bottom of the car it didn't have enough power to raise the car up at all. I flipped mine over and noticed fluid, mine is a craftsman that I've had for about 3.5 years. But it doesn't get used that much. I'm going to take mine to Sears and have them either give me a new one, or have them rebuild it. I've used mine maybe 3 dozen times.

SuperG
07-02-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm in the same boat as you Superg. I went to do the wife's rear brakes last night and as soon as the jack got to the bottom of the car it didn't have enough power to raise the car up at all. I flipped mine over and noticed fluid, mine is a craftsman that I've had for about 3.5 years. But it doesn't get used that much. I'm going to take mine to Sears and have them either give me a new one, or have them rebuild it. I've used mine maybe 3 dozen times.
Actually, that's not a bad idea...I don't know what kind of warranty is on the thing...

cobrabitn
07-02-2007, 08:37 PM
Forget the warranty dude.... I had the same problem and the warranty is for 90 days of which you have far exceeded that. I just went and got a 3.5 ton all aluminum race jack and have not had the same leaking problems as I did with the heavier iron one. Just use your first instinct...use this as an excuse to get a new one. :)

drudis
07-03-2007, 02:57 PM
My old-timer (circa 1980?, and still in use) just needed new fluid, and is used 80% of the time.

My new aluminum one is used only to lift both sides of the car at the same time, or at the track to change tires.

sssvtcobra
07-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Tony, your bringing my hopes down :rotf: I'd rather spend $150 on something for the Cobra than a new jack :D I might try filling mine up with fluid first atleast to see if that helps. I haven't had a chance to get to Sears, theres no room in the Cobra for a jack.

SuperG
07-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Tony, your bringing my hopes down :rotf: I'd rather spend $150 on something for the Cobra than a new jack :D I might try filling mine up with fluid first atleast to see if that helps. I haven't had a chance to get to Sears, theres no room in the Cobra for a jack.
YEah, I plan on trying to drain the sucker and refilling it with hydraulic oil...If I have to spend money, it should be on the Cobra!!

flynfink
07-06-2007, 07:39 PM
probably needs bleed.

Look up hydraulic jack service in the YP's. I got my 2 ton rebuilt for like 50-$70. New seals and an alum. piston to replace the cheap one that it was built with.

lasted years and rebuildable.

cobrabitn
07-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Jeff, I had mine re-done at the same place you had yours done...it still leaked down and I gave it away to a co worker. Bought a new aluminum jack from Sears and haven't had a problem with it since.

Y'all try the easy way first, if it doesn't work, go to www.sears.com and have it delivered to you... :rotf: Meanwhile, I'll be using mine out in the garage! :D

johnbasf
07-06-2007, 10:04 PM
AIR!!!! BLEED THE AIR!!!!! :thumbsup: