PDA

View Full Version : 97 cobra automatic tranny?

ayoleftyz
07-01-2007, 11:42 AM
How's it going guys? I am new to this forum because I just inherited my first Mustang a few days ago but I want to do a little work on it. First of all it's a 5 speed manual but the clutch is out and it needs a new pressure plate as well. I have never been really fond of manual so I want to put an automatic in. This is where my I need help...

My Dad and I were debating on the best way to get this done (i.e. going through the dealer *don't want to, highly expensive*, or go through eBay etc...) Now first off, if a regular 97 GT automatic tranny will work with my 97 Cobra SVT then I don't have much of a problem and it is fairly easy to find one of those and pop it in. But if that won't work, how would I go about finding a suitable tranny and what are some good places to look? I have a guy I know that will put it in for cheap since he is basically the family mechanic but I want to supply the tranny to him. Anything at all you guys can suggest or answer is highly appreciated, thanks!

P.S. If I posted this in the wrong forum I apologize!

Bartman01
07-02-2007, 01:52 AM
The Cobra's have never come with an automatic transmission, and I would guess that the only people that have converted them did so for hard core drag strip (off-road only) use. First thing you need to check is that the car will be street legal after the conversion - since the drive train in question (Cobra 4.6 DOHC with automatic) was never smog certified and a '97 is probably not yet exempt from any local/state/federal emissions certification laws.

Now for a sanity check. Adding an automatic transmission to a drive train that was never designed to run one will:
1) Probably not be an easy direct swap, and as such will not be cheap.
2) Will most likely result in the car losing value (unless you can find a buyer that HAS to have a Cobra and really wants an automatic).

It would probably be cheaper to just sell the Cobra and buy a Mustang with an Automatic.

tcrews
07-02-2007, 09:21 AM
Actually it's a very simple swap as the computer in the Cobra has all the control program for an automatic transmission just like in the Mustang GT.

There have been a few (for physical reason/health reasons) that have swapped in an automatic transmission into their Cobra's.......for daily driver use.

All the details of what you'll need to swap I can't give you.....but it's probably one of the easier swaps out there.

Bartman01
07-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Actually it's a very simple swap as the computer in the Cobra has all the control program for an automatic transmission just like in the Mustang GT.

That's somewhat (but not completely) surprising. Guess Ford just re-programmed the GT ECU for the DOHC.

Anyone know if there are any issues from a 'street-legal' standpoint. Usually mfg's have to get their entire drive train (engine and transmission) DOT/smog certified. The one thing you don't want to get surprised with is ending up with a car that you can not get to pass inspection. Given that states (and the Federal govt) are tightening up emissions laws I would double check this before proceeding with the swap.

ayoleftyz
07-02-2007, 01:00 PM
From the other forums I have asked this on they have said it's fairly easy as well. I was told any 470RW would work and I would need the flexplate (6 bolt for you), torque converter, trans mount, trans, automatic slip-yoke, dipstick, tube and a few other small things. So it looks like it will be an easy transition and not very costly as the 470RW is about $900 retail.

blueblazes
07-03-2007, 11:29 AM
would be no street legal issues.

cbrown9064
07-07-2007, 04:54 PM
Bear in mind that this is just my opinion, but the Cobra is not a Cobra with an auto. The car will definitely loose value in future years as a collector car. Perhaps the other posters are correct in that you could selll the Cobra as is and get a GT with an Auto. Probably cheaper in the long run and depending on the year GT you may be able to put a few bucks in your pocket towards a supercharger.

Again, just my $0.02. I hate to see any Cobra dismantled.
CB