PDA

View Full Version : JJ's Torched Red Cobra R

Al C
07-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Joe Johnson's beautiful 2000 Cobra R had an unfortunate accident at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah today while running in an open track session during the SAAC 32 / SVTOA Experience III. A fuel leak at the rear of the car caught fire while Joe was on Track. Joe stopped the car and got out of the car unharmed. He then remembered to dump his fire extinguishing system which did nothing to stop the fire because by that time the fire was well established. The flames eventually got as as big as the R. Foretunately the car was pointed into the wind so the flames were directed behind the car. The track emergency crews had a time putting out the fire but did get it done. While the pictures are ugly the damage does appear to be repairable.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z270/f8z-svt/IMG_0728.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z270/f8z-svt/IMG_0729.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z270/f8z-svt/IMG_0731.jpg

Firme
07-07-2007, 01:40 AM
HOLY #*@& !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

:jawdrop:

First off, I am real glad Joe was unharmed. Looking at those pictures of the R.... well just makes you wanna :bawling:. I hope it has a quick and painless recovery.

cobrabitn
07-07-2007, 02:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear that about Joe's Cobra R! :( I'm just glad he got out before it got worse! :)

97whitevert
07-07-2007, 06:29 AM
:eek::eek: Holy cr@p!! I am glad that Joe got out safely! I certainly hope for a total and speedy recovery for the R !

93KingCobra
07-07-2007, 09:39 AM
WOW....And you never think it can happen to you.....Good thing Joe was prepared...

Good luck getting her back on the track..

SuperG
07-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Yikes!! I sure am glad Joe got outta there in time...I know it sucks to stand there and watch your car burn and not being able to do anything about it...

Hopefully the car is repairable and returns to track duty quickly!

97CasperCobra
07-07-2007, 03:27 PM
Wow....I'm glad that Joe is ok and was unharmed.

Sorry to hear about the R....Joe's made it into an AMAZING machine, but it can be repaired.

Joe, if you need anything please let us know!!!! :thumbsup:

03 cobra toy
07-07-2007, 03:50 PM
:eek: Now I know why he has two race cars ;)

scottmartin
07-07-2007, 04:09 PM
First of all, i know what is like to have this kind of damage to your car. It does not feel good. Thank God Joe is OK . If someone can contract him, he may not want the pics on the net. No doubt this is a difficult situation for him. Scott

cobrapace94
07-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Glad Joe is OK.
So sad about the car. I can be repaired. Good luck.

Flying Fred
07-07-2007, 07:05 PM
First of all, i know what is like to have this kind of damage to your car. It does not feel good. Thank God Joe is OK . If someone can contract him, he may not want the pics on the net. No doubt this is a difficult situation for him. ScottGood point Scott. When the same thing happened to me at BeaveRun NASA event, the regional director prohibited anyone from taking/posting pics. At the time I was thankful, because I didn't care for people circling around it like vultures and wanting to snap pics. Looking back on it now I guess I wouldn't mind as much.

ac427cobra
07-07-2007, 07:33 PM
Joe:

Sorry to hear about the car! :( Glad to hear you're ok though! :)

Good luck with it.

Andy M
07-07-2007, 11:46 PM
Folks,

I just finished talking to Joe a few minutes ago. Although he obviously sounded terribly dissapointed over this most unfortunate mishap, he seemed to be taking it all in stride.

I of course (after looking at those pics and sobbing! :( ) reminded him that the most important thing in all of this is that he is safe. After all, the car can and will be fixed!

Joe,

Very sorry to hear about the R going up in flames, but VERY happy you are ok buddy!!

jimmysidecarr
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
WOW!!

I'm VERY sorry to hear about your car Joe. :(
I sure am glad you are unhurt! :thumbsup:

Is this a Cobra R thing??? related to the fuel cell?

I remember hearing of another Y2K R fire that was fuel cell related I think.

Are the bladders failing on some of these R cars??? Or is this a 99 and up return-less fuel system thing? Should we be checking our fuel tanks too?
I just got done removing my PPRV and re-doing the internal hosing and rewiring back there on my 04.

THAT IS SOME SCARY STUFF RIGHT THERE!!! :eek:

ac427cobra
07-08-2007, 07:08 PM
WOW!!

I'm VERY sorry to hear about your car Joe. :(
I sure am glad you are unhurt! :thumbsup:

Is this a Cobra R thing??? related to the fuel cell?

I remember hearing of another Y2K R fire that was fuel cell related I think.

Are the bladders failing on some of these R cars??? Or is this a 99 and up return-less fuel system thing? Should we be checking our fuel tanks too?
I just got done removing my PPRV and re-doing the internal hosing and rewiring back there on my 04.

THAT IS SOME SCARY STUFF RIGHT THERE!!! :eek:

Jimmy:

The opening in the top of the fuel cell (where the bladder and fuel pump are accessed) has a tendency to leak in stock form. I'm not sure why. I had to reseal mine, and then had to go back in because I was having fuel delivery issues with starvation in left hand turns.

If that thing starts leaking and you don't know it, you're just a time bomb. :(

NJ2000R
07-08-2007, 07:53 PM
1st - I'm glad joe was not injured....
2nd - I know he'll repair and rebuild it, hopefully the damage isnt severe....
3rd - after fred's, scott's, and now joe's 00R fires, I need to check mine out to make sure nothing is loose/leaking back there! :eek:

Levi
07-08-2007, 11:23 PM
I am just glad Joe is OK. :thumbsup:

95cobraR
07-09-2007, 08:43 AM
That is awful news. I remember that he was very excited to be going to the SAAC event. I am also very glad that he wasn't injured.

Al C
07-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Here is a link to a series of photos of the fire as it developed and the track crew fighting the fire. The hand extinguishers at the corner worker station did nothing to put the fire out as did the 10lb in car system that Joe dumped when he got out of the car. Putting the fire out took the big guns of the track fire truck which got there in about 1 minute. If the fire truck had not gotten there as quick as it did the R would probably be black from end to end.

http://groups.msn.com/SVTCobraR/cobrarfire.msnw?Page=1

Stavesacre21
02-17-2008, 11:34 PM
His Cobra R made it into Road&Track magazine!!

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460302