PDA

View Full Version : road racing and ported blowers

puzzle13
07-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Is anyone out there with an 03 or 04 doing any road racing / weekend driving events like at VIR with a stock blower that has been ported by Steigmeyer? If so ... how are your temperatures running/ What pullies & boost levels are you running? Bob @ Steigmeyer says that the porting lowers intake temps by 23 degrees ... comments. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

blueblazes
07-12-2007, 03:50 PM
save yourself the time and money and get a whipple or kb. I was never overly impressed with the ported eaton to be honest. The iat's still get up there with the boost they just dont get up there as fast as an unported one.

InfamousSVT
07-12-2007, 04:19 PM
It's do able, but you should make sure that you have all the cooling mods to back up the ported blower....larger heat exchanger, larger I/C reservoir, etc...
There were plenty at the CMP event with ported blowers running hard all day.

The best result would be to get the Whipple, which is more efficient than the Eaton, but if you aren't going to use all the power then not needed for the price you pay.

I wouldn't push the boost too high though, go with a 3.10 upper and 4lb lower and you'll be good on a ported Eaton. :thumbsup:

puzzle13
07-12-2007, 06:21 PM
A whipple would be nice, but I don't want to invest that kind of money as I am pretty satisfied with the power I have. I was really just trying to get any cooler temperatures as possible. I have already done the head cooling mod, LFP race radiator, LFP heat exchanger, LFP supercharger oversized tank, full length headers, JLT cold air. I ran fine at CMP, but got a little hot at VIR. Figured the ported blower with an additional supercharger tank that I could add ice to would help.

blueblazes
07-12-2007, 09:13 PM
well one thing to keep in mind is the ice wont last more than lap at most. One thing you could do would be to flush the coolant and run pure water as it will pull heat out more effectively than a mix but this is not recommended for long term just flush it run it then flush and remix.

Also can put fans on the heat exchanger to help with air flow there as well. The ported blower will help but its not gonna help much after you get her warm.

InfamousSVT
07-13-2007, 03:26 PM
Fans on the heat exchanger is a good idea.

I've also seen people run a LARGE reservoir in the trunk packed with ice. Drops the intake temps a good 30* or so, take a 2/3 gallon tank and place it in the spare tire well and have the coolant lines running through it with an external pump. You then pack the tank with ice so that it is actually laying on the coolant lines.

Sream Machine did this with his 07 Twin Turbo Saleen and it worked flowless :thumbsup:

puzzle13
07-13-2007, 04:38 PM
I also heard that from someone else, except they used a fuel cell which allowed for an unreal amount of liquid.

blk04cobra1
07-13-2007, 11:14 PM
here's what you need :thumbsup:

this is what I have on my car....the little white bottle would help cool down as well :D
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/874087/tank(Small).jpg

valightning
07-18-2007, 08:31 PM
I have the stage III on my 03 cobra and also ran at VIR the last event. After VIR I ordered the Whipple. In my opinion the Eaton is just not up to the demands of road racing. Good luck.

white 03 Cobra # 46