PDA

View Full Version : Gear Question for the "Gear Heads"

COBRAkid
07-17-2007, 08:17 PM
I have a 2004 Mystichrome Convert and I love doing research on how to make it faster but my eyes are always bigger than my wallet. But my question is the that I know that my car comes with 3.73 gears, if I go to 4.10 then my car will have more top end right? and if I go to 3.53 of 3.58 I saw this would give me more off the line and not top end? I just wanted to see if I am looking at this correctly.

thanks,

cobrabitn
07-17-2007, 08:44 PM
Matt,

Your came from the factory with 3.55:1 gears and if you haven't changed them out then that's what you have in your stock rearend. The argument with gears is that with the huge amount of power your car has, you really don't need to change them but if you must, going to 4.10's would most likely make 1st gear useless. If your car is a daily driver, I wouldn't change them out but then, that's just my opinion. :D

Going to 4.10's would make your car quicker off the line, not slower. Going to a 3.55 or higher gear (numerically lower) would make it come off the line slower. Your car will top out at 155 mph no matter what gear you have in there because that's the way your factory computer is set.

blueblazes
07-18-2007, 11:37 AM
I have a 2004 Mystichrome Convert and I love doing research on how to make it faster but my eyes are always bigger than my wallet. But my question is the that I know that my car comes with 3.73 gears, if I go to 4.10 then my car will have more top end right? and if I go to 3.53 of 3.58 I saw this would give me more off the line and not top end? I just wanted to see if I am looking at this correctly.

thanks,like cobrabitn said yours came with 3:55's. Alot of debate has raged over the gear swaps in the 03/04's. Most people agree 4:10 is over the top since the torque on these cars is instant and will just ultimately blow the tires off and end up resulting in slowing you down. No hook=no go.

Most people who do change gears go with 3:73 but there are some who have done 4:10 everyone is different and everyone has their own opinions. Im of the opinion the 3:55 is a great gear for this car and great match for the transmission.

03slidewayzSVT
07-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Now on the other hand I have a built solid 8.8 swap done on my car...I installed 4:10 gears and I love them...Hell I'm going to try some 4:88's and mybe 5:14's...I very much like doing gear swaps and will try really any gear combo just to try...I want to see what gear it takes to get to the top of 4th gear in the 8th...I would say go with a 3:90 gear....You'll like them:thumbsup:

tazzracing1
07-18-2007, 11:59 PM
If you are going to switch goto 3:73's if you are going to use it for a daily drive and highway use. 5.0 mag did a big article on this I will see if I can find it.

COBRAkid
07-19-2007, 04:47 PM
All of these opinions have been great!!! I really appreaciate everyone let me know something I didn't. I love how my car hooks and I want to get it to be better and more off the line. What other options do you guys have for me????

03slidewayzSVT
07-20-2007, 05:53 PM
All of these opinions have been great!!! I really appreaciate everyone let me know something I didn't. I love how my car hooks and I want to get it to be better and more off the line. What other options do you guys have for me????

Buy some M/T drag radials tires...Bad thing is wheel hop so watch out and back out of it when it does hop....

blueblazes
07-21-2007, 03:02 AM
if you wanna put some hits on it with the irs in it then invest in billetflow irs brace.
www.billetflow.com

get you some 16" rims for slicks like welds, bogarts, centerlines whatever, and get you some slicks for track fun only. Keep your normal tires on there and just swap them at the track that way if your unfortunate and get caught in the rain then you wont have to wait the rain out. Driving in the rain on slicks is no fun at all. Plus with 16" you wont have to grind anything on the back and they will fit your brakes and give you a good sidewall to launch with.

ausie
07-21-2007, 06:52 AM
I have contemplated that issue as well. I would agree there is more torque off the line and having a good tire would improve ET at the strip. Launghing at 3000RPM on street tires will spin them almost the full 60ft. I would definately recommend the IRS brace if you plan on using the slicks or drag radials. If you plan on launching above 3000RPM then invest in some stronger half shafts. I have seen a guy at the local track destroy halfshafts at the track (he bought a surplus of the factory parts on ebay and would swap them at the track once they broke). That car was running mid 10's on MT slicks.