PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plug Confusion

cbrown9064
07-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Hello All!

Sorry for adding another post about spark plugs. I read through all the other posts and am not sure what to think. Here is my delimna.

I went to O'Reilly's and they recommended AGSF-32FM Platinum. The sticker on the hood says AWSF-32EE. I could not remember what the posts said and I confused iridium with platinum and told the guy platinum was no good, give me copper. He gave me NGK TR55 V power (basic plug).

So, I go to start the project tonight, and lo and behold what comes out but AGSF-32FM (Platinum). They look very good except the gap was about .045 instead of .052-.055.

Now what? Do I put the V-powers in or go get the Motorcraft AGSF-32FM? No one has the AWSF-32EE. If the plug looks clean, is there any reason to change them out?

This was my Uncle's car and it came from California 2 years ago. He did not remember ever changing the plugs, but I bet they were to meet emissions (could be mistaken). Currently the car has 67k on it.

Thanks in advance for any help. :doubt:
Chris

cbrown9064
07-18-2007, 12:37 AM
Update:
I put the V-powers in (can always change them out later). Started the car according to Ausie's directions, the battery was disconnected for 1.5 hours (key on wait 15 secs, start-once idle stabilizes shut off and restart).

I was not able to drive tonight, as it was starting to rain (the baby does not go out in the rain!). Will update this thread and the A/C thread to see if things have improved with the plug change/pcv valve and EPROM dump.

Oh, a side note, I did not have any trouble with the strut tower brace. When right back on. Is that usual or unusual?

Chris

ausie
07-19-2007, 08:26 AM
The copper plugs are okay to use, but they will wear quicker so the maintanance interval will be much shorter. The sticker on the hood that lists the spark plugs may or may not be up to date with the spark plugs used, I have come across that issue with another ford product..... However, the ford part number also specifies a heat range for the plug that is appropriate for your engine. If you do not have forced induction added to your vehicle (turbo, supercharger) or if you did not replace the pistons and heads to increase compression ratio, the ford specified plug should be used.

(this is optional reading, I tried to keep it at a minimum.... there is better information at most spark plug web sites: NGK is a good source)
The difference between copper, platinum, and irridium: Copper is a very good conductor but a soft metal. This is also the essential core of most spark plugs do the the electrical properties. However since the copper is relatively soft, manufacturer's will add other metals to the copper to create a copper alloy to improve the hardness of the electrode tip (typically they use nickel plating or sometimes cadmium (makes the copper black in apperance) to improve the electrod wear characteristics). Platinum does not have as good an electrical conductive property as does copper due to the higher resitance. Considering the high potential charge (in excess of 10kVolts) it really does not make much of a difference.... Platinum is relatively hard and will last much longer than copper alloys and will not deplete (wear down) itself during the arch or spark generation. Platinum is less reactive than the copper alloy so the byproducts of combustion will not attack the metal causing corossion or etching which also contributes the the amount of wear occuring during the combustion cycle. Irridium is harder than platinum and has similar characteristics but different thermal properties than platinum. The benifit of Irridium is that it will not erode or round off the sharp edges of the electrode which is a good charactersitic to maintain a consistant spark. As the electrodes round off this will change the spark charactiersitic and intensity and possibly dispurse the spark energy into weaker plasma streams as compared to one single burst of energy. The issue with platinum is that it will not hold a sharp edge under the conditions of combustion for a very long time.