PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust install?

SVT 168
07-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Hey guys, I have an 03 cobra and I bought the Bassani mid-length headers to go with my Bassani x-pipe/catback. I'm wondering if anyone has installed this themselves or if they took it to a garage. The nearest mustang shop said 500 to install them so I really would like to do it myself. Any suggestions?

blk04cobra1
07-21-2007, 10:02 AM
Hey guys, I have an 03 cobra and I bought the Bassani mid-length headers to go with my Bassani x-pipe/catback. I'm wondering if anyone has installed this themselves or if they took it to a garage. The nearest mustang shop said 500 to install them so I really would like to do it myself. Any suggestions?
It's not as easy as some may lead you to believe, but can be done on your own...honestly though, $500 to do it sounds way better to me, than doing this particular install yourself :thumbsup:

SVT 168
07-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Well I was told that the collectors had to be welded to the individual pipes, that is the only thing I wouldn't be able to do. Is that the case? Thanks for the help.

Big T
07-22-2007, 09:40 PM
$500 seems reasonable for a header install on the cobra. I heard it is very difficult and I have done all my mods myself (not mechanically gifted by any means). I wouldn't even try the headers on my own. I was quoted $800 at a local shop.

ausie
07-23-2007, 07:13 AM
You should not have to weld anything (unless there is a slip pipe on one of the primary tubes to accomodate the steering linkage). Considering how difficult it is to remove the old headers and what needs to be done, having someone who has experience in doing this is a plus. That task would be something I would like to do but would not due to what is involved. This is something not easily done on jack stands. $500.00 is a bargan considering the labor involved.

SVT 168
07-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks guys for the advice, I'm going to have the shop put them on since it seems like this install will be a PITA!

blueblazes
07-24-2007, 09:48 PM
to do it the easiest way is to actually remove or lower the k-member till its almost out of the car.

He is correct about the welding the bassani midlengths are slip fit style headers similar to kooks if you want a surefire way to keep from getting leaks then welding is the key.

Try looking up mm performance in concord they are a site supporter and im sure would be more than happy to tackle the job for you.

03slidewayzSVT
07-25-2007, 05:49 AM
to do it the easiest way is to actually remove or lower the k-member till its almost out of the car.

He is correct about the welding the bassani midlengths are slip fit style headers similar to kooks if you want a surefire way to keep from getting leaks then welding is the key.

Try looking up mm performance in concord they are a site supporter and im sure would be more than happy to tackle the job for you.

There actually in Indian Trail area in Monroe...Which is about a hour away driving time from Concord:thumbsup:

blueblazes
07-25-2007, 03:31 PM
[/i][/b]

There actually in Indian Trail area in Monroe...Which is about a hour away driving time from Concord:thumbsup:bleh there around there somewhere haha i know how to get there just dont know where its at haha either way givem call good people:rotf:

03slidewayzSVT
07-25-2007, 07:51 PM
bleh there around there somewhere haha i know how to get there just dont know where its at haha either way givem call good people:rotf:
Not really...I could drive the conover in an hour and fifteen minutes...I guess your around here too then....:rotf:

blueblazes
07-25-2007, 09:44 PM
bleh details details but i dont live in conover :D

03slidewayzSVT
07-25-2007, 10:35 PM
bleh details details but i dont live in conover :D

Well I don't live in Indian trail...I was just basing it of where tru dyno was....:thumbsup:

blueblazes
07-25-2007, 11:30 PM
why would it take hour from indian trail to concord? could you just hop on 485? Ive been down to mm and its always smooth sailing on 485. I didnt think that indian trail was that far from concord although im not overly familiar with the area. I know we go 85 to concord for the speedway and we go past 485 when we went to mm.

sorry about hijacking thread lol just take it to mm they good folks and will do you well. watch that torrey fella hes a sneaky one lol

03slidewayzSVT
07-26-2007, 09:12 AM
why would it take hour from indian trail to concord? could you just hop on 485? Ive been down to mm and its always smooth sailing on 485. I didnt think that indian trail was that far from concord although im not overly familiar with the area. I know we go 85 to concord for the speedway and we go past 485 when we went to mm.

sorry about hijacking thread lol just take it to mm they good folks and will do you well. watch that torrey fella hes a sneaky one lol

Its just how you have to get there...It takes about a hour....I'v traveled that way many many times:D Oh and LMS is on the very edge of the concord line next to charlotte...From there still it is about 50 minutes or so... :thumbsup:

blueblazes
07-26-2007, 10:21 PM
thats why ihate the city lol give me the country haha

InfamousSVT
07-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Thanks guys for the advice, I'm going to have the shop put them on since it seems like this install will be a PITA!
Make sure you use stock Ford Gaskets, I had 2 sets of the bassani gaskets blow out on my 04. Double up on the stock ford gaskets and you'll have no problems.:thumbsup:

Good luck and you'll love the SOUND!:D

SVT 168
07-28-2007, 05:10 PM
So i should just lose the bassani gaskets? Also, do you know if there are any performance differences between the BX and the stainless steel bassani catbacks?

03slidewayzSVT
07-28-2007, 11:58 PM
So i should just lose the bassani gaskets? Also, do you know if there are any performance differences between the BX and the stainless steel bassani catbacks?

None, just differant metal...and is cheaper:thumbsup:

InfamousSVT
07-29-2007, 07:46 PM
None, just differant metal...and is cheaper:thumbsup:
Agree, just different material.

I had the BX which was cheaper than the stainless, but if you keep it in the garage and out of bad weather you shouldn't have any problems. Bassani stuff isn't cheap to begin with......$$$
Have you considered BBK full lengths? Great price and good sound, haven't heard of anyone complaining about leaks etc.. with these.

SVT 168
07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
I already have the bassani x-pipe/catback on the car so i figured it would be the easiest to go ahead and get the bassani headers also. I have an appointment next week to get them installed so i will let ya'll know how that goes. Thanks for all the help again guys.

red04svtcobra
07-31-2007, 01:59 PM
$500 sounds like a great deal for install bro. Mine were already installed when I bought the car but the last owner who installed them did them in his garage on stands and took him and his friend about 12 hours just to put them in.

03whitecobra
08-04-2007, 06:19 PM
I installed the Bassani mid-length headers and let me tell you it's a P-I-T-A. Take it to a garage if you can. They will need to do alittle modification on your passenger side firewall. I couldn't get them on without disconnecting the steering linkage also.

pdogkilr
08-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I took a look at what was involved - then paid Dugan Racing $700 to do the install. But that was for the complete system, middies all the way back. Had to go back three times to re-torque the header bolts. First gasket on the driver side blew because I didn't re-torque soon enough.

If you can get it done for $500 - pay the money, you'll be glad you did.

03whitecobra
08-05-2007, 05:40 AM
Oh yeah get some Stage 8 header bolts. They lock