PDA

View Full Version : big problems with the cobra i need help

03bloodredsnake
07-24-2007, 05:07 PM
well heres my first problem the car keeps eating up belts. after some hard highway pulls the car sometimes shreds a belt. its happened like 3 times already.someone said the alignment of the pulleys might be off or there might be a grove in one of them ...any other ideas?????my second problem is even worse the car keeps chewin through alternators im on my 3rd in a year and a half. i even bought the 4lb lower pulley from lfperformance for the alternator to create less spin and it still went dead. my onley option is to go aftermarket paperformance and get one with higher amps will this help the problem or does the higher amps not mean a thing???let me know

mkkrs1
07-24-2007, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=03bloodredsnake]. i even bought the 4lb lower pulley from lfperformance for the alternator to create less spin and it still went dead.

well that is part of the problem. When you put a four lower on you have to change the Alt. pulley also or it will spin the crap out of it.

you can run a two lower and still use the stock alt. pulley.

Also you need to make sure the upper pulley is lined up correctly or belt walk will eat them up.

blueblazes
07-24-2007, 09:56 PM
if you have aftermarket idlers make sure you have them on in the right direction. If you dont this wall cause alignment issues.

If your on stock idlers ditch then and get aftermarket like billetflow heh. The stock idlers are known for getting nicks or warping and breaking and shearing belts.

Also check your alternator bracket for cracks or breaks and make sure its not flexing under load from the belt this could cause alignment isues eating up your alternator and chewing belts

InfamousSVT
07-28-2007, 11:45 AM
Also check your alternator bracket for cracks or breaks and make sure its not flexing under load from the belt this could cause alignment isues eating up your alternator and chewing belts
Agreed, the alternator mounting bracket isn't that strong, especially if you have a manual tensioner, you can bend it easily.

Y2KCOBRA88
08-07-2007, 06:01 PM
Agreed, the alternator mounting bracket isn't that strong, especially if you have a manual tensioner, you can bend it easily.
i had a similar problem at first with my new metco lower pulley setup spinning the belts off and tearing them up. after checking the pulleys i found the factory tensioner pulley bearing and two other belt pulleys had had enough of the high speeds and almost seized up. the factory bearings have contact retainers and heat up causing them to seize. i replaced all the bearings on all of the pulleys and what do you know... no more belt problems.... u can get new ones on ebay or any bearing wholesaler for about $1 each. the best thing to do is replace the tensioner bearings and get new aluminum pulleys from billetflow, lfp, or any good retailer... good luck