PDA

View Full Version : Tach/Shift LED/Strobe

Exposed
07-30-2007, 02:26 PM
I am thinking I would like to add another Tach with a strobe light. The Cobra raps up so quickly, hard to watch the RPM's on the dash and the road. I have never used a light for shifting but seems what everone is using these days. I am looking at Autometer right now. What are you street/strip guys using and where are you mounting???? Any suggestions on what it really good...
thanks of all the help....

cobra9
07-30-2007, 04:08 PM
Just bought a Summit shift light, $35.00. Has a dial on the face to adjust the shift points. No pills needed like the MSD. Mounting it on the drivers side dash next to the a piller. Going to set it up this week-end.

XCOBRAX
07-31-2007, 06:05 AM
I'm using Raptor shift lights. I use two of them, one yellow and one red.
The yellow is set to go off 500 RPM before the red.
There are no pills needed for these either. They're small and extremely bright.
I have them mounted left of the speedo and right of the tach.
You can see them in the pic below. They're about as big around as a dime.
They wire in quickly to the coil pack wires behind the pasenger side kick panel. The whole thing took 45 min for both
http://www.summitracing.com/eventimages/mustang_08/600/001502-2.jpg

Exposed
07-31-2007, 10:25 AM
The Raptor lights look pretty cool. I have been looking at the Autometer Black DPSS Tube, Level 2. Might have to think about which one I would prefer. I would be like XCOBRAX and have a couple of them if I went with the Raptors.

red04svtcobra
07-31-2007, 01:50 PM
I saw one guys one cardomain.com have his shift light mounted next to his gauges on the pod on the side pillar. Looked really good, might be where I mount mine when I get one.

XCOBRAX
07-31-2007, 02:09 PM
The added advantage to mounting them where I have them is that there are already screws in the bezel at those points. By slighly modifying the mounts provided by Raptor, I was able to mount them using the stock screws. NO HOLES DRILLED!

red04svtcobra
07-31-2007, 02:18 PM
The added advantage to mounting them where I have them is that there are already screws in the bezel at those points. By slighly modifying the mounts provided by Raptor, I was able to mount them using the stock screws. NO HOLES DRILLED!Is Raptor a well known company, I have not really done research on shift light manufacturers. Do you have another pic of where yours are mounted at, sounds like a really neat place to mount them! :thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
07-31-2007, 02:49 PM
The speed of sound pillar pod can have a shift light adapter mounted to it :thumbsup:

InfamousSVT
07-31-2007, 07:37 PM
The speed of sound pillar pod can have a shift light adapter mounted to it :thumbsup:+1

Yes the raptor shift lights are well known and made here in North Carolina. I had one in my 04 and I'll be installing one in my 94 as well. :thumbsup:

Exposed
08-03-2007, 06:30 AM
I ordered the Autometer Digital Pro Shift System Level 2. I like the Raptors but also like the progressive lights on the Autometer.. Hopefully will be here today or Monday...

pdogkilr
08-04-2007, 07:57 PM
I ordered the Autometer Digital Pro Shift System Level 2. I like the Raptors but also like the progressive lights on the Autometer.. Hopefully will be here today or Monday...

Post up some pics when you can, and let us know how you like it. I have a Stewart-Warner. I like the digital alot. It's in an Autometer column pod painted to match the dash.

Here is a picture.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i106/pdogkilr/My%20Cobra/GaugePod.jpg

Exposed
08-05-2007, 05:54 AM
Pdogkilr, that looks really clean for an install. I thought Stewart-Warner had gone out of business. In my younger days, that was the only gauges to have. Anyway, I like your setup. THe Autometer strobe came in late Friday and hope to work on it today. Will post some pictures once get installed.

Exposed
08-05-2007, 12:04 PM
I am installing the Autometer Strobe and looking for which coil wire to plug into. I saw instructions from Raptor for installing and they said the 8 coil wires come into the PCM. I noticed they indicate a green wire but looking at my plug end connections, there is a common looks like red and different color for each on the other wire... Any help would be appreciated..
thanks