PDA

View Full Version : Tapping noise!

blip
07-31-2007, 01:07 PM
I need some help guys. i just baught a NE cobra 99 witha new engine 2000 miles since rebuild. The bottom end is forged and I have full exhaust. I started hearing a puttering noise that sounded like it was comming for the exhaust. I took the car to the place that built the engine and the siad it sounded like an exhaust leak also. So i then took it to a muffler shop.

At the muffler shop we put the car on a lift and the noise started to sound alot more like a tapping noise comming from inside the bottom end. the exhaust guy said that he was 95% sure that it was in the engine and not an exhaust leak. He also said that it doesnt sound like a bearing and seeing that the engine has only two thousand miles on it since the rebuild im really confused. The oil level is at 6.5 qts, which is perfect on the dipstick. What could the noise be?

blip
07-31-2007, 08:15 PM
ok... So Im driving home and i hear a pop... pop pop pop pop then it stops for a min... pop pop pop. Luckily I was almost home, i pull in and pop the hood and from the passenger side its popping and the tapping seems to have gotten louder! What the hell is going on?

red04svtcobra
07-31-2007, 10:51 PM
I would definately take that back to the builders on a roll back truck and have them look at it. Post a small clip of the noise so we can hear it and might be able to tell you what it may be. Sorry to hear about that, hope you get it fixed what ever it is.

blk04cobra1
08-01-2007, 09:27 AM
ok... So Im driving home and i hear a pop... pop pop pop pop then it stops for a min... pop pop pop. Luckily I was almost home, i pull in and pop the hood and from the passenger side its popping and the tapping seems to have gotten louder! What the hell is going on?
A tapping or popping noise could be a few different things, none of them good. Im with Red04 on this one, I would tow it back to the shop who built it and have them break it down...

blip
08-02-2007, 11:49 PM
I took it to them once, they turned me away. Told me to go see a muffler shop. Muffler shop told me it was in the engine. So I booked an appointment with the first shop. Five o'clock traffic slowed me down so I was literlly fifteen minutes later than i told them I would be. When i got there the owner was gone and everyone else refused to help me even listen to the car. Told me to come back.

The next day i called again, they said to bring it. But this time the owner said he changed his "policy" and they dont go into motors anymore so he doesnt know if he can help...(keep in mind this is a racing shop who builds engines). So I bring it anyways. Went to uhaul and drove to the other side of town as fast as I could. When i get there (two hours later) the owner is gone again. They refused to listen to it again. They said to either leave the car or come back tomorrow.

So i left it. If they **** around tomorrow, Im gonna just pick it up and drive to either charlotte or charleston SC because theres nowhere else to take it here in Columbia. This is annoying enough that my cars ****ed up but to get the run around too... Its really annoying. Its also costing me alot of money driving that uhaul around all day.

red04svtcobra
08-03-2007, 02:00 AM
what shop did the work? if I were you I would keep hounding them about it. they probably know that something is screwed up with it and are probably hoping that you will let it go. then again, I don't know if I would want a shop that acted like that to work on my car. any of the vendors on here are excellent and will not screw anyone over. good luck bro!

blk04cobra1
08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
I didnt realize you were so close...im not concerned with who did the work, but if you would like for us to take a look at it, you are more than welcome to schedule a time to bring it up to Charlotte...we are a little busy right now, but we can at least take the time to listen and give you some advice :thumbsup: ...let me know if you'd like me to schedule something for you.