PDA

View Full Version : Pulley Swap

SVT 168
08-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Hey guys, I'm wanting to do a pulley swap for more boost, on a pretty much stock 03 cobra, and I wanted to get some opinions on what set-up is best. For instance, will just changing the upper pulley to a 2.8 be ok, or should I also get an Idler pulleyto eliminate belt slip, if so what size? Is changing the lower pulley a good idea also? And one final question, what brand pulley's are the best and what brand belt should I switch too. Thanks and sorry for all the ?'s

InfamousSVT
08-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Riechard Racing makes one of the best pulleys on the market. I'd go with a 3.10 upper and a 4lb lower, if you go with a smaller upper pulley you will definately need an auxilary idler. Even when changing upper or lower pulley you need to swap out the stock idlers for the double bearing aftermarket versions, the stock idlers are prone to break and sieze up on higher boost.

A Gates belt from Autozone will work.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
08-02-2007, 10:27 PM
Riechard Racing makes one of the best pulleys on the market. I'd go with a 3.10 upper and a 4lb lower, if you go with a smaller upper pulley you will definately need an auxilary idler. Even when changing upper or lower pulley you need to swap out the stock idlers for the double bearing aftermarket versions, the stock idlers are prone to break and sieze up on higher boost.

A Gates belt from Autozone will work.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Excellent advice, just to add a little to it, you can use Billetflow or LFP pullies as well...easiest thing to do is either a 2.93 or 2.76 upper only with an auxilary idler...I wouldnt swap the lower until you port the blower...very easy to do, if you need a place to swap and tune all in one, let me know.

blueblazes
08-02-2007, 11:02 PM
torrey made good point to, try out billetflow setup to start with. You can order there entire idler setup and an interchangeable hub upper so that you can swap pulley combinations at a later date. If you go that route you can get a 2.76 upper and run your stock belt!