PDA

View Full Version : getting my 96 cobra to run right

autoworx
08-02-2007, 07:00 PM
i bought a 96 cobra from a guy that was attempting to build it up and didnt finish the job. Im wondering if it needs to be tuned, reprogram the computer or a sct tuner added to it or something of that nature. Here's bit of what the car has; long tube headers with catted x-pipe with function o2 sensors, bbk throttle body, larger mass air housing with stock sensor, did have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator but put a stock one on cause other one was leaking. he also shortened the runners drastically. They are very short I dont know exactly how to measure them but they almost point straight up, and he also welded a plate on the bottom to reduce volume I would guess. when i got it the plugs were horribly fouled and the o2 sensor wires were chopped and werent working, also i believe due to manipulating the runners the pcv system was sucking in tons of oil. Oil was also very very black thin and low I replaced plugs,wires, msd coils, new o2s and i unplugged pcv system. Runs better but smokes on startup and on acceleration, smells like raw gas. check engine light shows lean codes both banks and oil gets dark and thin fast. Any idea where to go next? Ive heard runners are too short for n/a motor. any help would be great thanks.

Pro-Dyno
08-02-2007, 10:45 PM
Sounds like it is time to tune it so every thing can be dialed in to work together:thumbsup:
i bought a 96 cobra from a guy that was attempting to build it up and didnt finish the job. Im wondering if it needs to be tuned, reprogram the computer or a sct tuner added to it or something of that nature. Here's bit of what the car has; long tube headers with catted x-pipe with function o2 sensors, bbk throttle body, larger mass air housing with stock sensor, did have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator but put a stock one on cause other one was leaking. he also shortened the runners drastically. They are very short I dont know exactly how to measure them but they almost point straight up, and he also welded a plate on the bottom to reduce volume I would guess. when i got it the plugs were horribly fouled and the o2 sensor wires were chopped and werent working, also i believe due to manipulating the runners the pcv system was sucking in tons of oil. Oil was also very very black thin and low I replaced plugs,wires, msd coils, new o2s and i unplugged pcv system. Runs better but smokes on startup and on acceleration, smells like raw gas. check engine light shows lean codes both banks and oil gets dark and thin fast. Any idea where to go next? Ive heard runners are too short for n/a motor. any help would be great thanks.

mrpork
08-03-2007, 01:19 PM
do your self a favor and go see the boys from pro dyno they are the best around. just ask the people on this board they will tell you.i bought a 96 cobra from a guy that was attempting to build it up and didnt finish the job. Im wondering if it needs to be tuned, reprogram the computer or a sct tuner added to it or something of that nature. Here's bit of what the car has; long tube headers with catted x-pipe with function o2 sensors, bbk throttle body, larger mass air housing with stock sensor, did have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator but put a stock one on cause other one was leaking. he also shortened the runners drastically. They are very short I dont know exactly how to measure them but they almost point straight up, and he also welded a plate on the bottom to reduce volume I would guess. when i got it the plugs were horribly fouled and the o2 sensor wires were chopped and werent working, also i believe due to manipulating the runners the pcv system was sucking in tons of oil. Oil was also very very black thin and low I replaced plugs,wires, msd coils, new o2s and i unplugged pcv system. Runs better but smokes on startup and on acceleration, smells like raw gas. check engine light shows lean codes both banks and oil gets dark and thin fast. Any idea where to go next? Ive heard runners are too short for n/a motor. any help would be great thanks.

03slidewayzSVT
08-03-2007, 10:30 PM
do your self a favor and go see the boys from pro dyno they are the best around. just ask the people on this board they will tell you.

+1000000000000000:thumbsup: Best in do biz!!!