PDA

View Full Version : LDC cooling mod

red04svtcobra
08-03-2007, 10:43 AM
I am planning on getting the LDc cooling mod real soon for my 04 cobra before I start gettting the head tick and was wondering if anyone one here has done it themselves in their garage and if so was it hard and how long did it take. Also where are people buying these from other than LDC Chicago. Thanks http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/lightning_015/smilies%20and%20funny%20pics/sos.gif

blk04cobra1
08-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Lethal performance in florida carries them I believe...we've done a few...they're not too difficult, but there are some tight spots, so hopefully you have some small hands :thumbsup:

blueblazes
08-03-2007, 10:01 PM
ive put 2 lfp cooling mods on, 1 on my car with blower on the car and 1 on friends car when doing a blower swap. The latter was much easier heh

NO 5 OH
08-04-2007, 03:43 AM
I am planning on getting the LDc cooling mod real soon for my 04 cobra before I start gettting the head tick and was wondering if anyone one here has done it themselves in their garage and if so was it hard and how long did it take. Also where are people buying these from other than LDC Chicago.

I have one on my car... in my opinion it's one of the best ones out there. Sure it's not on the cheap side, but it does the job effectively.

In order to do the install, the transmission/bellhousing will have to come out of the car. It would be just about impossible to do it with the tranny in the car even with the blower off. I really can't think of a way to take the freeze plug out of the driver's side head with the tranny in.

Dan, Cliff and Lyle are some really good folks and will do you right I'm sure :)

Shannon

red04svtcobra
08-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Thanks all, I will look around and get some quotes and see how much they charge to get one and install it for me. If to expensive I guess I can do it myself one weekend in the garage on stands.

ausie
08-04-2007, 09:53 AM
You could combine it with another job since the trans has to drop out and bell housing needs to follow. Upgrade the clutch and pressureplate at the same time, at least the labor in removal of the trans and bell housing would be put to some good use.

puzzle13
08-04-2007, 10:47 AM
Torrey & Will at MM performance did mine when they had the tranny out to install the headers. As they put it to me, it was not the easiest job, but worth the effort. According to the instructions the transmission has to be off for the install.

InfamousSVT
08-04-2007, 12:59 PM
I wouldn't warrant doing this mod, unless you already plan to have the trans out of the car for a clutch install etc...
To remove the trans for the LDC mod only isn't worth the effort, yes the mod has is benefits but it's one of those mods that go in the "while I'm there...I'll go ahead and install it" list of things to do.

Good luck :thumbsup:

blk04cobra1
08-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I have to agree with the others, if you have something else that warrants the tranny being removed, then I'd incorporate the LDC mod along with it...that's what Puzzle did and it really saved him some money when doing...if you do not already have them, i'd just do a larger heat exchanger, radiator, lower thermostat (160*), or intercooler resevoir first :thumbsup:

red04svtcobra
08-05-2007, 12:17 AM
I have a heat exchanger and resovior already. Would getting a 160 thermostat help out alot? How can I tell if I have an aftermarket thermostat and where is it located at? Thanks everyone for the help.

NO 5 OH
08-05-2007, 08:41 PM
I have a heat exchanger and resovior already. Would getting a 160 thermostat help out alot? How can I tell if I have an aftermarket thermostat and where is it located at? Thanks everyone for the help.

A 160 thermostat isn't going to get the coolant that bottles up in the driver's side out, nor is a different heat exchanger, intercooler resevoir, etc. You could do the even-flow cooling mod which is easier to do and the trans doesn't have to come out, but neither mod is going to "guarantee" that the head tick won't develop.

Isn't it time to put a new clutch in that thing anyways ;)

*hint hint* :D

Shannon

red04svtcobra
08-06-2007, 03:05 AM
A 160 thermostat isn't going to get the coolant that bottles up in the driver's side out, nor is a different heat exchanger, intercooler resevoir, etc. You could do the even-flow cooling mod which is easier to do and the trans doesn't have to come out, but neither mod is going to "guarantee" that the head tick won't develop.

Isn't it time to put a new clutch in that thing anyways ;)

*hint hint* :D

ShannonThe clutch isn't bad yet, I only have 6,000 miles on it so the G/F is gonna be hard to get around with and excuse. I thought the head tick developed because the head got to hot. So how can I STOP it from ever appearing!! I will do anything I can to prevent that from happening and causing me to have to dump $$$$$$$$ into it.
Chris

NO 5 OH
08-07-2007, 04:16 AM
The clutch isn't bad yet, I only have 6,000 miles on it so the G/F is gonna be hard to get around with and excuse. I thought the head tick developed because the head got to hot. So how can I STOP it from ever appearing!! I will do anything I can to prevent that from happening and causing me to have to dump $$$$$$$$ into it.

Unfortunately Chris there really isn't anything that you can do right now to guarantee that it *won't* start ticking. I actually take that back to an extent... you could probably stop it before it started, but you'd have to pull the heads and have the valve guides redone. I remember Al P. saying that 03-up heads he's gone through and put new valve guides in them they didn't tick afterwards. The last revised head design (January 05) is supposed to be the "fix" for it, but even then it would still be in the back of my mind on whether it was going to tick or not.

Some cars tick being driven by the proverbial old lady... while others don't that are flogged on a regular basis :) I wouldn't try to worry yourself with it too much though. I did when I first got my car and it liked to drove me batty... I finally just stopped worrying about it and enjoyed the car and making horsepower out of it, although I haven't gotten to really do that in over a year now. That damn stock block of mine has held up just fine... but the hell if I can figure out why I can straight up kill a T56. Twice now if you're keeping count :D

Shannon

red04svtcobra
08-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Yeah just the thought of it is driving me crazy. I want to enjoy the car and try and take every precaution there is but on the other hand I am like "screw it, if it happens it happens". I figure if it happens then I will buy an aftermarket set of heads and be done with it.