PDA

View Full Version : Brake Problem 10th Anniversary

BudMan
08-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Last week a rear brake line broke on my 03 Cobra, lost all the fluid. Replaced the rear and front lines with Russell stainless braded lines. I think I lost a lot of fluid in the front line while I was trying to swap a bolt in the line so I'm pretty sure the left rear and left front were completely drained. Using a Motive brake bleeder I bleed the system, front first and then rear. Positive there is no air in any of the lines...........started it up and no brakes. First time I have dealt with ABS so what did I do wrong and what do I need to fix it? Do I need to have it running while doing the bleeding?
Appreciate any suggestions. :confused:

NO 5 OH
08-12-2007, 10:50 PM
Last week a rear brake line broke on my 03 Cobra, lost all the fluid. Replaced the rear and front lines with Russell stainless braded lines. I think I lost a lot of fluid in the front line while I was trying to swap a bolt in the line so I'm pretty sure the left rear and left front were completely drained. Using a Motive brake bleeder I bleed the system, front first and then rear. Positive there is no air in any of the lines...........started it up and no brakes. First time I have dealt with ABS so what did I do wrong and what do I need to fix it? Do I need to have it running while doing the bleeding?
Appreciate any suggestions. :confused:

I'm going to say here that since you completely lost all the fluid in the resevoir that has a lot to do with why you have no pedal now. I'm repainting the calipers and replacing the lines on my car currently and I was told before starting this project to make sure and not lose all the fluid in the resevoir or I would have to take the car to Ford and have the ABS cycled. As far as I know you have to have some sort specialty equipment to have the ABS cycled, and the Ford place or other competent service center would be the places I would look.

I could be wrong about this though.. just throwing out my thoughts here ;) Good luck in getting it fixd :)

Shannon

cobrabitn
08-13-2007, 12:37 AM
I had the same problem on my 1994 Cobra. I let all of the fluid drain out so they had to bleed the ABS block which cured the problem. The problem is they have to open and close certain lines in the block to make it bleed all of the air out of the system.

03slidewayzSVT
08-13-2007, 12:46 AM
When bleeding the brakes start with the farthest away wheel( pass.rear) then drivers rear, right front then left front.....repeat if needed....

InfamousSVT
08-13-2007, 01:36 PM
When bleeding the brakes start with the farthest away wheel( pass.rear) then drivers rear, right front then left front.....repeat if needed....
What he said, also you may need to bleed the master cylinder. The M/C has two bleeders on it facing towards the passengerside of the vehicle. Since the line actually broke you will have a bunch of air in the system.

1. Get the car up on jack stands and remove all the wheels so you have easy access to the caliper bleeders.
2. Fill the M/C up with fresh fluid, and CLOSE the lid SECURELY so that no air can get back into the system
3. Use a bleeder or pump the pedal until it gets harder to push hold, have a friend open one of the bleeders on the M/C (While still keeping pressure on the brake pedal, close the bleeder BEFORE releasing the brake pedal pressure.) You should be able to feel a difference in brake pedal feel after doing this, repeat for the M/C as needed.
4. After M/C is complete, bleed each caliper from the furthest from the M/C like stated in the above post.

You can start the car on the jackstands and press the brake after bleed to see the difference in brake pedal feel.
**Make sure you don't release pressure on the Brake pedal whenever you have ANY of the bleeders open, you will get more air in the system and have to start from scratch.***

Good luck and let us know if you need anymore info.

-INFAMOUS

BudMan
08-15-2007, 08:29 PM
This sounds very sensible and will give it a shot Saturday morning.

I assume I can use a Motive Power (pressure) bleeder to do this instead of a "friend" to pump the brake pedal. Haven't used one of these before so they are new to me but seems to be something that will save some time and be able to do it alone. I have a 66 Mustang which I replaced the entire brake system last year and had no problem bleeding the brakes, guess things may be made better these days but not quite a simple. Thanks :)

cobrabitn
08-15-2007, 09:43 PM
And if that doesn't work...see my post above! :D If your ABS block has air in it, you will have to put your system on a computer and have certain valves open and closed in order for the bleed to work properly. Other wise, your pedal will feel mushy.... I am speaking from experience here. ;)

BudMan
08-22-2007, 10:22 AM
[QUOTE=InfamousSVT]What he said, also you may need to bleed the master cylinder. The M/C has two bleeders on it facing towards the passengerside of the vehicle. Since the line actually broke you will have a bunch of air in the system.

Update: bleed the master cylinder (both bleeders) and problem solved...thanks guys. As an FYI: in my reading the past week about this I read that if the ABS light does not stay on there should not be a problem with the ABS system, not sure if that's true or not but thought I would pass it along. My ABS is working, did some hard braking running about 90 on I288 (dangerous!!!) and could feel it kicking in.
Thanks guys. :thumbsup: