PDA

View Full Version : OverHeating!!!!

TommyA77
08-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Hey guys,

Got a quick question for ya. The other day is was over 100 degrees here in North Carolina, well I was driving with full AC on and boom it went hot. Parked the car and the resivoir was spewing. Parked it. Refilled it. Drove it 3 hours later. It over heated within 5 miles. Had to park it overnite. So I take the Thermostat off and got it home. Temp gauge stayed right in the middle. Well it is still spewing radiator fluid out of the resivor.

Any Ideas?

Tommy

red04svtcobra
08-14-2007, 02:44 AM
I don't know if this will help but, I was over hearing a conversation tonight at Hooters and one guy was saying his vette did the same thing (overheated) while using the A/C but when back down when the A/C was off. I would suggest not driving it is very hot weather for that reason. Good luck and hope you find out the problem and sorry I couldn't give no real help.

puzzle13
08-14-2007, 02:50 PM
If taking the thermostat helped, then likely your thermostat is sticking. They are really cheap, buy a newer one with a lower temperature setting and install it. It may be the best $10.00 you ever spent.

blk04cobra1
08-14-2007, 06:46 PM
If taking the thermostat helped, then likely your thermostat is sticking. They are really cheap, buy a newer one with a lower temperature setting and install it. It may be the best $10.00 you ever spent.
this would be my suggestion...if you need any help, feel free to ask.

TommyA77
08-15-2007, 12:24 AM
the thermostat is off. and it is still spewing fluid when i drive for a bit.

thanks will from MM performance for talkin to me on the phone.

Tommy

Larry95
08-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Tommy,

I havn't experienced the problem but from what I've read on this forum and others, you may have some air trapped in your system. I don't know what "key word" you could search on, but there has been several threads on that topic here on SCMC.

Big T
08-15-2007, 10:11 PM
Tommy,

I didn't see if you have had any mods done to your car? My car did this after my first coolant change and after I did my whipple install. I had air in my system both times. You can burp it yourself if you are patient. Most shops can get the air out if you want to pay for it to be done. Costs about 50-75 bucks.. Don't take it to a speedee oil type place. Thats how I got my air in my system in the first place.

spincobra03
08-20-2007, 09:36 PM
ya as mentioned above, not sure if you upgraded your radiator or resivoir but its sounds like its definelty air bound and just needs to be bled. The odds are the thermostat is not the problem, let us know what you find, but I really think thats your problem.

STANGBUM
08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
This thread help me when my 97 was beginning to overheat. I filled it from the top tube, burb it etc. So now it has never went up past the M on the gauge. :)

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13641&highlight=overheating

Big T
09-01-2007, 08:43 PM
Did you figure out why you were overheating?

TommyA77
09-10-2007, 04:29 PM
I have taken the 03 cobra to two seperate mechanics, and neither one see's a problem. The car will idle forever and not heat up. Sometimes I an drive it 20 miles no problems. Some days I can get 3 miles from my house and it heats right up to where I have to park it. The last mechanic I took it to said there is no air trapped. He used some machine to make sure. He thinks it might be the head gasket, but the other mechanic said it wasnt. I have no loss in power. No water in the oil. No loss of power. Should I just bite the bullet and take it to the Ford dealership and let them rape me for money?

Tommy

red04svtcobra
09-10-2007, 04:33 PM
If it was a head gasket you should have water in the oil I would believe.

TommyA77
09-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Thats what I thought too. It is getting me so mad. I can not figure it out, like I said. Guess I will suck it up and run it through parkway ford.

Tommy

Kenny04Cobra
09-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Hold up a sec.. it overheats when your sitting still (no air going through radiator) it will also over heat WITHOUT the thermostat because the coolent moves too fast through the radiator, and doesnt have time to cool off..
i saw someone say something about vettes.. yeah, they are kinda prone to overheating because of the way the radiator sits in the car.. its more of a "V" mount... unlike the cobra, where the radiator sits straight up and down.

I would check to see if BOTH of your fans work/come on. espicially when u turn on the a/c. my temp in my cobra actually drops when i use the a/c because both fans come on, instead of just the one. also, (this is dumb but ive seen it happen) check to make sure that theres nothing blocking the radiator behind the bumper.. Oh yeah, check fuses for the fans too..

Theres alot of little stuff to check before you take it to ford and spend the money. Hell... send me a pm, and i can help ya out.

Kenny

03 cobra toy
09-10-2007, 05:46 PM
Replace your radiator cap and burp the cooling system :thumbsup:

Shane361
09-14-2007, 08:34 PM
I agree with the Ford remark..usually. When it comes to burping the car..let them do a coolant flush which is usually around $100 bucks sometimes $130. They do a draw for coolant and air on the system, something you cant do in your garage. I pulled my hair out about a week ago over this same issue. Now it could be several things as mentioned but 90% of the time it is air in the coolant system. Make sure you use a FORD thermo and not from a auto parts. I made that mistake and it was too short which does matter and it opened at 193 instead of 180. I say...replace it with a Ford one, make sure it is installed rite and let for do the coolant flush. -Shane