PDA

View Full Version : Please help: Check engine light code # P1443

sssvtcobra
08-15-2007, 01:43 AM
Two of us have exhausted our options. Can some of you experts help me out? A friend of mine owns a '96 mustang GT 'vert. He is having a problem with his check engine light coming on. The code is P1443.

The description for this is: Evaporative Emmission comtrol system-Vacuum system-Purge control selonoid or purge control valve fault.

Neither one of us knows where any of this is or really what it is. When he got it pulled from Autozone they told him it was his gas cap. So they took it off and put it back on but it didn't help. He'll get it cleared everyonce in awhile then soon after it comes back on. He hasn't done anything aftermarket to the car besides welded up some flowmaster mufflers.

What should we do to cure this problem? Any suggestions or answers. I have scoured the internet for problems but haven't really found any.

Thanks in advanced.

svtsilversnake
08-15-2007, 07:08 PM
im not sure but if he is getting it to go off and then it comes back on that means its intermitent and i could be a loose fuze. but as far as to where that is located i couldnt tell you but u can call 1800fordsvt and i bet you they can help. hope im helpful...

sssvtcobra
08-15-2007, 07:42 PM
It's not that the light is coming off and on by itself, but rather that he's having it cleared. Then soon after it comes back on. I'll try giving svt a call and see what they say, I hope then know even if it's not a cobra.

Thanks.

ausie
08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
It is part of the emissions system. The evap canister is somewhere near the fuel tank. It is used to prevent fuel spills and if the cannister gets fuel in it (caused by squeezing out that extra gallon at the pump). One reason why it is not recommened to top off the tank or overfill it. A qualified mechanic or Ford service is probably best suited to solve this issue. There are a few other sources to look at. The link below sometimes can be helpful. Since the ODBII codes are generic (includes all manufacturers) some links to other vehicles may provide a clue where or what needs to be fixed or repaired. Not sure if this is a complicated issue or something that would be an easy fix. Try searching through all of the related topics on the p1443 code at the site linked below.

http://www.obd-codes.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1355

1-QIK-SNK
08-16-2007, 09:56 AM
i had that same problem on my 96 about 5 yrs ago. they replaced something on the pass. side of the firewall. when i get home i will get a pick of what they replaced. it may not be what your talking, but they told me it was i was always topping my tank off when i out gas in it. it was like a 10.00 part at that time.

kerry

sssvtcobra
08-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks everybody for your help. I went back to work after having two days off and he told me he got it fixed. He said that it was a hose going to or from a vlave on the passenger side of the car. So it was probably the part that you were talking about QIK-SNK. Anyways it cost him a few dollars for a hose and couple of minutes to fix it, not bad. He did find out that the valve's job is to let any extra or left over gas fumes return to the gas tank. But since there was a cut in the hose it, the flow was poor, causing the CEL.

Thanks again guys :thumbsup:

1-QIK-SNK
08-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Good deal. :thumbsup: