PDA

View Full Version : Suspension noise

Kenny04Cobra
08-15-2007, 05:22 PM
ok... this is driving me nucking futs... Ive got a metal on metal banging sound coming from the front end. its not a break squeal sound, (before you ask). It sounds more like, if u had a empty coke can, put a rock in it.. and shaked it. if i drive slow, it doenst do it... if u go over rough road above like, 15-20 mph.. thats when u hear it. Ive put the car on a lift, and banged on the exhaust and shields, and thats not it. Ive also checked the dust covers on the front brakes... thats not it either. The wierd part is this... say your going down a rough road or some rough pavment cracks... like on 40... i hear the noise... now, if i gently step on the brake and put a lil drag on the car... the noise stops. :mad: its GOTTA be some kinda suspension part or sumpin.. I was wondering if anybody has had the same problem and what the did to cure it...

Kenny

red04svtcobra
08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
what i would check is the brakes. if the brake pads and the rotors have alot of play between them then you will get the same noise you are describing. which could be due to a stuck caiper that is not working properly or the caliper pins are dry and need tobe lubed up some. hope this helps.

Kenny04Cobra
08-15-2007, 11:30 PM
what i would check is the brakes. if the brake pads and the rotors have alot of play between them then you will get the same noise you are describing. which could be due to a stuck caiper that is not working properly or the caliper pins are dry and need tobe lubed up some. hope this helps.Hey man, thanx for the help! :thumbsup: Unfortunatly that wasnt it... like i said, the noise "happens" only when the wheel moves up and down, like running over a crack in the road thats been filled. But, you might be onto sumpin now i think about it..... when the caliper is squeezing to stop the car, it wouldnt make noise, cause its on the rotor... hmm.. (ponders) imma take the wheels off tomm, and take off the calipers and make sure.. again, thanx for the help!

Kenny

red04svtcobra
08-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Hey man, thanx for the help! :thumbsup: Unfortunatly that wasnt it... like i said, the noise "happens" only when the wheel moves up and down, like running over a crack in the road thats been filled. But, you might be onto sumpin now i think about it..... when the caliper is squeezing to stop the car, it wouldnt make noise, cause its on the rotor... hmm.. (ponders) imma take the wheels off tomm, and take off the calipers and make sure.. again, thanx for the help!

Kenny
The reason I am thinking its the brakes or caiper is because it happens while going over bumps in the road but stops when brakes applied. this same thing happened to me years ago and it ended up being a frozen caliper. Another way to see if the caliper is frozen is to see if the car pulls to one side with hands off wheel and brakes applied. Hope this helps you, I am still trying to find out what strange noise I have too, can be very annoying at times.

SVT_COBRA_98
08-16-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm having that same problem on my 98...any help would be amazing!
Be Safe.God Bless.Drive Fast. Lose Tread.
jeremy angel
www.myspace.com/carolinaborn87 (http://www.myspace.com/carolinaborn87)