PDA

View Full Version : Performance Mods for 2001 Cobra

zumacat
08-16-2007, 04:15 PM
Hi, just purchased my first ever Mustang after years of pondering, test driving, etc. I made the right choice! I'm very happy with the Laser Red convertible Cobra. I want to make minimal modifications and wanted advice from the board.

1) Cold air intake - what would be the best thing to do?

2) Exhaust - I think I only want to do Cat back. I want something with that nice mellow deep growl when I put my foot into it. I don't want it screaming loud. I don't want the back pressure sound I get from the stock exhaust.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

blk04cobra1
08-16-2007, 06:20 PM
Zuma---congrats on your purchase, you did make the right choice :thumbsup: . As for mods, here's a few suggestions.

Intake--JLT, MAC, K&N, Steeda, S&B, etc...all of these places make nice CAI, JLT seems to be the most cosmetically pleasing and they can color match your car if you want them to.

Exhaust--you'll get varying opinions on which sounds best, so my advice is to try and hear a few of them before making your decision. I prefer Bassani or Magnaflow.

Happy modding and if you have any more questions, there's plenty of us here to help.

venomnous99
08-17-2007, 02:15 PM
SAA (Same As Above), except I personally like the SLP exhaust. But the advice above is sound advice. Happy motoring, but remember the more you mod, the more you want to mod. Just slowly leads to addiction, then self help groups, and therapy, its all good though, JK!!!! Honestly, I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new car as much as I have mine.:thumbsup:

cobrapace94
08-18-2007, 11:40 AM
Same as above on the intake.
On the exhaust it is personal preferance on what you like. My 01 has a Borla cat back only and has a deep melow sound and gets loud as the rpms go up. Lots like it better than my 94 with flows. Best bet is to go out and talk with other owners on what kind of exhaust they have and ask to hear it. All will be more than willing to start their car and give you a couple revs.. :thumbsup: Flowmaster cat back can have a drone sometimes, depending on other componants. The 5.0 push rod motors have a different sound than the mod motors and even a different sound from a 2V to a 4V, but not as different.

zumacat
08-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the information on mods. I have a technical question. Will I need to retune the engine after adding each new component (i.e. tune after adding the CAI and then again after adding the exhaust) or can I just bolt them on and go? Thanks again!

svtsilversnake
08-18-2007, 06:57 PM
good choice i have an 01 also (silver coup) as far as exaust i have mandre bent flowmaster thunder series(a.k.a super 40's) with a bassani x pipe and 2 not 4 cats(i beleive they came with 4 cats stoc).and i love the sound there is a bit of drone around 1700 rpm to 1900 rpm. they are resonably quiet untill you get on it but its a deep growl. i also have a bbk fenderwell intke system. ilove it. kind of a pain in the ass to install but worth it. i noticed more toque and high end horspower not so much gain in the middle like around 3000 rpm. and deepens the exhaust note.............also if you ar currently running mineral motor oil if you switch to synthetic like royal purple your exhaust will sound cleaner and more fluid..and that no lie i changed mine from valvolin 5-30 to royal purpal 10-30 and runs super smooth. hop this helps ohh and you can never go wrong with a tune even if ist a flash tune.l8tr

blk04cobra1
08-18-2007, 11:56 PM
no need to tune with an intake and catback...of course, a tune will bring out more power and possibly better all around drivability though :thumbsup:

scorpio
08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
jlt intakes are the best( in my opinion). slp's are a little loud, but i love mine. put it with an off road h pipe and watch peoples heads turn when u drive by.the best upgrade for me so far was the mgw shifter.

svtsilversnake
08-30-2007, 08:11 PM
i just got my mgw in today. i cant wait to install it. all i need is some tranny oil and im set

zumacat
08-31-2007, 09:29 AM
I got the JLT and an MGW this week. Nice long weekend so I will plan to install them this weekend. A couple of people have mentioned transmission fluid. Is it necessary to change the transmission fluid when installing the new shifter? Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

blk04cobra1
08-31-2007, 10:04 AM
I got the JLT and an MGW this week. Nice long weekend so I will plan to install them this weekend. A couple of people have mentioned transmission fluid. Is it necessary to change the transmission fluid when installing the new shifter? Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
no, it's not necessary...on the flip side, how many miles are on the tranny? if you havent changed the fluid and it's got quite a few miles (40k+), then I would say go ahead and change it out.

dewone
08-31-2007, 04:18 PM
I would wait until you have completed moding before a tune. In deed the tune will help at each level but why go through the expense. Do the intake, and exhaust, wait a while to see if the bug gets you, and perhaps you say hey why not get some underdrive pulleys, or headers.... when you feel your done with the mods then get the tune. This way are all included with the tune to maxmumize your efforts. 0.02

tp2400
10-18-2007, 11:42 AM
Sorry, Newbie question.... what is a mgw???

scorpio
10-18-2007, 05:09 PM
the best short throw shifter i have ever used.

Lumpydogs
10-18-2007, 10:56 PM
Gears... 4.10's are nice.

blk04cobra1
10-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Sorry, Newbie question.... what is a mgw???
They make a short throw shifter for our cars :thumbsup: ...also have some nice chrome accessories as well

cbrown9064
10-20-2007, 12:55 PM
I put a MGW on my '96 and it is one of the best mods. No matter what RPM range or how you are driving it, it always put a smile on the face. Only a supercharger would make me grin more!

CB

02CBRA
11-18-2015, 11:58 PM
Hi ALL, Steve here from Sydney, Australia. I have a 2001 Mustang Cobra SVT 4.6 DOHC. What is the easiest and cheapest way to ad a Supercharger to my Cobra? Brand, type and least costly?
Whipple off a 2003/4 will that bolt straight on with a kit? Or is there better ones? All new for me. (Forced Induction that is)

Thanks in advance.

cobrabitn
11-20-2015, 12:01 AM
Not an eaton, most use a procharger or vortech.