PDA

View Full Version : Still overheating

TommyA77
08-17-2007, 06:36 PM
Well it isnt the thermostat. Took it off still overheating. Tried burping, that did not work. It stays pretty much cool still the A/C gets going. Then it gets hot quick.

Any Ideas?

Tommy

WVFord
08-18-2007, 09:41 AM
Taking the thermo out should make it run hotter. The thermo helps keep water in the radiator longer giving the air more time to cool it. Replace the thermostat and start from there. Before installing the new thermostat do this: hold the thermostat with a vise grip of pair of pliers, place it into a pan of boiling water and see if it opens. This insures the new stat is working before installation. Also a lower degree stat will open sooner and still allow the water to go through the radiator faster, resulting in higher temperatures. If this does not fix the problem, you may still have air in the system.

red04svtcobra
08-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I saw this on svtperformance, might help you. http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=413368

WVFord
08-19-2007, 10:22 PM
^^^good info

TommyA77
09-10-2007, 04:04 PM
I have taken the 03 cobra to two seperate mechanics, and neither one see's a problem. The car will idle forever and not heat up. Sometimes I an drive it 20 miles no problems. Some days I can get 3 miles from my house and it heats right up to where I have to park it. The last mechanic I took it to said there is no air trapped. He used some machine to make sure. He thinks it might be the head gasket, but the other mechanic said it wasnt. I have no loss in power. No water in the oil. No loss of power. Should I just bite the bullet and take it to the Ford dealership and let them rape me for money?

Tommy

blk04cobra1
09-10-2007, 09:19 PM
I have taken the 03 cobra to two seperate mechanics, and neither one see's a problem. The car will idle forever and not heat up. Sometimes I an drive it 20 miles no problems. Some days I can get 3 miles from my house and it heats right up to where I have to park it. The last mechanic I took it to said there is no air trapped. He used some machine to make sure. He thinks it might be the head gasket, but the other mechanic said it wasnt. I have no loss in power. No water in the oil. No loss of power. Should I just bite the bullet and take it to the Ford dealership and let them rape me for money?

Tommy
Have you had Will take a look at it?

TommyA77
09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
I live like 2 hours plus away. I might get a friend of mine to let me use his car hauler. Other than that, it just wont make it down that far. I know Will could fix it quick.

Tommy

blk04cobra1
09-11-2007, 08:57 AM
I live like 2 hours plus away. I might get a friend of mine to let me use his car hauler. Other than that, it just wont make it down that far. I know Will could fix it quick.

Tommy
I remember you said you talked to him on the phone...it's weird how this keeps happening...let me know if you can get it down to us and we'll be glad to take a look at it :thumbsup:

Shane361
09-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Realized you said you had people look at it for air. 90% of the time that is the problem. If you got a thermo away from Ford that could also be your problem. I bought one and it was the OEM of my car. They were dead wrong due to it was shorter which will not work and it opened up at 193 instead of 180. I say make sure you have a Ford thermo and that its installed rite and take it to Ford for a coolant flush. Worked for me a week ago when my car was puking its brains out all over the place over and over-Shane