PDA

View Full Version : AC Not working

dewone
08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Well if you haven't heard it's hot even in Cincinnati, and my AC is out.:(
It is fully charged, and not blowing cold air. Hot air would be the best term.
I remember someone on the forum saying something to the effect that there is a electric switch somewhere that could be the cause of such an issue, and tapping it sometimes gets the AC working.
I did a forum search and it came up blank on it so it may have been in a message about something else.
Can anyone tell me where this part is in the car to check.
Thank you in advance.
Dave

VenomSVT
08-24-2007, 03:09 PM
If I remember right on mine it was called a a/c clutch cycle switch and it was like $13 from Ford. Fixed it!:thumbsup:

dewone
08-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Thank you, I just had a buddy feel the switches as I turned the AC on and off. The one infront by the radiator didn't do anything, the one on the black tank he said he could feel actuate. Hope replacing will fix. Thank you VenumSVT

VenomSVT
08-24-2007, 04:04 PM
No prob. Good luck with it!:thumbsup:

cobrabitn
08-24-2007, 04:42 PM
It's called a "recycling" switch! ;)

VenomSVT
08-26-2007, 12:59 PM
Yeah that thingy!:D

bolt-on
08-27-2007, 11:59 AM
The A/C Pressure Cut-Off Switch sometimes sticks. Give it a few good raps with the rubber handle of a screwdriver. If the A/C Compressor starts spinning you have found the problem and should have cold air at the vents. The A/C pressure switch is located in the right front of the engine bay near the condenser. The switch is threaded into Compressor to Condenser line via a valve which will keep the refrigerant from leaking as you remove and install Cut-Off Switches.

dewone
08-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Just replaced the A/C Pressure cut-of switch up by the radiator. No luck.
Should have gone with the cheaper one. Pressure switch was 51.32 at Ford
The recycle switch I just ordered is 19.22 I'll try again tomarrow. Pick that up in the morning same dealer!

dewone
08-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Any one have any more ideas.

Replaced the recycling switch and the compressor still isn't engaging.

Hot air is the outcome dang it's hot:doubt:

cobrabitn
08-29-2007, 10:03 PM
This is probably a stupid question but did you check to see if any of the fuses are blown?

dewone
08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Yes checked all the fuses, in both locations. (Under hood, and under dash) Manual said fuse 6, and fuse 17 under the dash are for the A/C. Both where good. Checked the plug on the compressor from under the car it looked in good shape. Unpluged it and pluged it back in. No luck.

Driving to Jacksonville, NC Sunday hoping to have our first grandson, (due today) and the boss won't let me take the Cobra without the A/C, gotta take her little Cobalt.
It is just to uncomfortible for a 10 hour drive, but her A/C works. (The My Hair Thing) Like anybody cares about your hair when the daughter in law just gave birth. Get in the car b.....:rotf:

SNAKEYE
08-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Did you check continuity of the A/C compressor clutch coil, either by ohmmeter or external +12VDC source?

How do you know the system is fully charged?

dewone
09-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Put a gage on the line to check coolant pressure.
Have not checked the compressor coil.
I assume thats the two leads going to the compressor under the car?
I will check that tonight. Thats a good one being thats whats not engaging.

dewone
09-13-2007, 11:05 AM
Well feel kinda dumb after last night. Crawled under the car with the old fluke to check the coil. Unpluged what I thought was the compressor leads. Checked for continuity. Had like 405 ohms so I wanted to see if I was getting voltage to it.

So rigged a couple wires into the plug, put them on the fluke and tried to start the car to run the AC. Car wouldn't start.
Puzzled I reconnected the plug and broom car starts.

After more light and investigation. It ends up I was checking the crank posistion sensor. The AC wires are on the top of the compressor not the bottum. Well I couldn't get my hand in to unplug the new found plug on top. So tonight I'll try to remove the FIPK in hopes that will give me clearance to reach the plug to redo my testing.:mad: Must have had an ID 10 T moment. (idiot)

mojosvt
09-13-2007, 10:01 PM
Haven't been on the forums much recently, as we are expenting our first child anyday now. How are things Dave? The grandchild?????

Hope you figure out the a/c issue. I feel your pain, as the A/C went out on my DD black jeep cherokee at the end of last summer. Checked on getting fixed at the begining of this summer, $1600 :mad: So I have been sweating my butt off all summer long, as my wife drives around in her new car with the a/c blowning on high all the time!

dewone
09-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Grandbaby is fine be a week and 3 days old today at 1:30. Wish they lived closer so we could watch it grow other than emailing pics. Can't bounce a picture on your knee, and get the big smiles... Mary and I are doing fine. Looks as though your about to add a new addition. MOJO Dad must be proud. Tell him I said to not go to the store's with you. Seems like all I did in North Carolina was spend on baby. The list is endless dang they didn't have diaper genies when we where kids. Yep make those smelly things go away for only 50 bucks plus refills... They are nice though. But for fifty bucks you would think that you just rub it and the genie comes out and changes the baby. NOT. I'm sure you are about to find out. The reason I haven't been in attendance of the latest functions is starting a new company so no vacation time, getting things started, training in Germany on the new product to me, & the list grows with all that. Like going to Isreal next month for more training.
Hope things are good for you and the up coming bundle of joy. Do you know if it's a boy or a girl yet? Have you gottten that nursery set up, don't forget the car seat so you can bring it home. Hospital made a big deal about that even though we had a brand new one, care on the instal was the concern.
Keep in touch. I should be coming up to Columbus to see my folks next weekend. I'll drop you a line.

hiloboy
11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
i know this is a old thread.. but maybe i can get some help when i turn my ac or heater on my ac clutch i think thats what it is turns off and on all the time until i turn every thing off. and the car runs okay when on the rpm go up and down:bounce: as it turns on and off non stop .. any ideas would sure help... right now i'm driving with it off don't want to burn any thing up.. when i first heard it i had run it for a little well and it smelled hot..

hiloboy
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
any help please!!!!

dewone
12-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Hilo

When the AC is run the motor will fulctuate RPM as the AC clutch engages it shouldn't be much if any though.
As far as smelled hot what smelled hot. In the engine bay or in the car?

hiloboy
12-03-2009, 09:54 PM
the AC clutch just never stops engaging and disengaging when i run the ac or the heater.. the smell was from the engine bay..but that could be just me after having my harley davidson truck burn up about 2 weeks ago. ever time i smell some thing that smells burned or hot. i'm ready to head for the hills:eek: the only thing i did before this started was change the belt..