PDA

View Full Version : Grind when plancing trans into reverse

boosthead
08-25-2007, 12:18 AM
I have searched the forum but haven't found a definitive answer. My 99' cobra grinds when placing the trans into reverse. The local Ford dealership believes it's a lockout ring and wants to tear down the trans. I have an extended warranty, but I dont want to get stuck with a big bill in the event that it's not covered.

Does anyone have experience where they had this issue and were able to resolve it?

svtsilversnake
08-25-2007, 01:21 AM
yep i used to have a v-6 stang(now my lady friends) and it would only do it if you were rolling and especialy backwards when you put it in rev. i personaly think its the syncro's. and if you do have and extended warranty you can find out if they will cover it before they do the work(its sort of required know what i mean) but if it doesnt i would consider contacting tremec for a 6-speed. added strength and close ratio gears. for probly around the same price as tearing it down and rebuilding it. hope this helps

SuperG
08-25-2007, 12:29 PM
My reverse pops out half the time, but I also have not found any solutions...

ian white
08-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Hi my 97 cobra used to grind going into reverse. I phoned sean hyland they said change your tranny fluid,and make sure you replace it with ford spec fluid only! I did this over two years ago,and still no grinding :)

cobrabitn
08-29-2007, 10:00 PM
Gary, your problem is definitely a synchronizer.

Boosthead, Most 99's had this problem and for some the fluid change fixed it. You may also want to invest in an MGW shifter as this sort of remedied it, too.

Your extended warranty should cover it but I would make sure and if it does then let them have at it if they think it is a "lockout" ring. If you have mods done to the car then they may decline service on the vehicle and/or void the warranty on drivetrain work.

SNAKEYE
08-31-2007, 05:23 PM
yep i used to have a v-6 stang(now my lady friends) and it would only do it if you were rolling and especialy backwards when you put it in rev. i personaly think its the syncro's. and if you do have and extended warranty you can find out if they will cover it before they do the work(its sort of required know what i mean) but if it doesnt i would consider contacting tremec for a 6-speed. added strength and close ratio gears. for probly around the same price as tearing it down and rebuilding it. hope this helps
Reverse has not synchro's.

SNAKEYE
08-31-2007, 05:33 PM
Have you adjusted the clutch lately? How? Easy! Stick the toe of your left foot behind the clutch pedal and lift. Do it twice for good measure.

Are you getting the clutch pedal fully depressed?

Are you waiting a reasonable interval after depressing the clutch to allow the gear train to stop spinning?

If all above fail, before shifting into reverse, shift into first. This will put drag on the spinning gear train and bring it to a near stop to allow the unsynchronized reverse gears to mesh quietly.

svtsilversnake
09-05-2007, 12:55 PM
Reverse has not synchro's.
all manual trans have syncros in reverse and forward gears all syncromesh do is match your input shaft speed with the output shaft. thats why i can roll forward in my car at low speeds and put it in reverse without any grinding......if you dont beleive me call 1800 ford svt. they canswer any question u may have about factory equipment and some aftr mkt items

flynfink
09-10-2007, 10:04 PM
all manual trans have syncros in reverse and forward gears all syncromesh do is match your input shaft speed with the output shaft. thats why i can roll forward in my car at low speeds and put it in reverse without any grinding......if you dont beleive me call 1800 ford svt. they canswer any question u may have about factory equipment and some aftr mkt items

Sorry, no synchro on reverse.. they are only used on the forward gears...

Bartman01
09-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Sorry, no synchro on reverse.. they are only used on the forward gears...

You willing to put money on that?

When the 93 Cobra was introduced, so was the "Cobra Spec" T-5. It was the first T-5 with a front tapered output bearing and steel front bearing retainer. The Cobra boxes also received a reverse gear brake and synchro assembly where there was none before. Just about everything else remained the same. Torque rating was increased to 310ft/lbs.

From the tremec web site:
Currenlty, the TREMEC TR-3650 is being used on the Ford Mustang GT and the BA Falcon.

Features:

* Center Distance - 85 mm
* Five-speed transmission with overdrive
* Two-wheel drive
* Advanced synchronizer design
* Optimized multi-rail shift linkage
* Improved shifter design
* Constant mesh, synchronized reverse
* End-load design with integral clutch housing

So at least on the T5 and the 3650 there was a synchronized reverse gear. The 3650 uses syncromesh on the forward gears and constant mesh on the reverse.

flynfink
09-11-2007, 12:24 PM
You willing to put money on that?

From the tremec web site:

So at least on the T5 and the 3650 there was a synchronized reverse gear. The 3650 uses syncromesh on the forward gears and constant mesh on the reverse.

I bow to the man.. :spanked:

I know on my 99, many times I need to shift to first before I can get reverse.

cobrabitn
09-11-2007, 10:04 PM
You go Bartman! :rotf: Sorry Jeff, just had to do it.... :) I knew you could put the car in reverse without stopping it but wasn't too sure about which transmission but Bartman cleared that up for us. Cool we can get some accurate information so everyone will learn something new! :thumbsup:

Bartman01
09-12-2007, 02:49 AM
I know on my 99, many times I need to shift to first before I can get reverse.

96-99 Cobras had the T45. From Tremec's web site:
* Center Distance - 81.5 mm
* Overdrive in fifth gear provides extended ratio coverage
* Aluminum die cast housings for reduced weight
* Tapered roller bearings on main and countershafts reduce noise and improve durability
* Needle bearing under 1st through 4th gears improve high speed performance and reduce shift effort
* Advanced synchronizer technology:
o Powdered steel formed blocker rings
o Engineered friction material for improved durability
o Double cone synchronizer design for lower shift effort in first and second speed gears
o Patented strut-type synchronizer design for improved durability
* Constant mesh, double disconnect reverse
* Internal, single rail shift system
* Integral clutch housing with front cover end-loading design for increased driveline bending strength
* Multiple shift lever locations

Not really sure what the difference between 'double disconnect reverse' (T45) and 'synchronized reverse' (3650) is. The T45 may not have a synchronized reverse.

Tremec's web site:
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/tremec.asp

Alex951
10-08-2007, 08:46 PM
hmmmmm so its no biggy on the 99, i mean it has 64xxx miles on it, and he took really good care of it............. so it seems........... help?:confused:

billystick
10-22-2007, 02:47 PM
I bow to the man.. :spanked:

I know on my 99, many times I need to shift to first before I can get reverse.Me too, but in 3rd...I don't have to, but I do in instinctively now after getting denied occasionally over the years.

Cowboy
11-14-2007, 07:43 PM
Yeah, 1st then reverse to prevent grinding