PDA

View Full Version : I made an interesting find

JROC
08-28-2007, 02:51 AM
On my way to work today a few miles before I got there my car started pulling really hard to the right like it was way out of alignment. So when I got to work I discovered that my front passenger tire was almost completely flat.(even though my car wasn't riding or handing bad it was just pulling) So when all the bosses went home for the day I pulled my car in the shop and found the leak and had to take the tire off to fix it. In doing so I discovered that I had 4 lugnuts that fit a 7/8 wrench(what its suppose to) and one that fit a 3/4 wrench.(all lugnuts have the same threads, I believe its 1/2-20) Of couse I was like wtf, and I check the other wheels and every other wheel had atleast 2 or 3 lugnuts that fit a 3/4 wrench and the others fit the 7/8 wrench. How did this happen I wonder. I assume it didn't leave the factory like that. I'm thinking that the people who put the new tires on my car just before I bought it goofed it up or just didn't care. The bad thing is, is that it was a Ford dealership who did it. What I guess I'll do is whenever I mount my 315's on my new wheels and put on my wheelspacers I'll get all the lugnuts that fit the 7/8 wrench and put them on the front replacing the 3/4 on their because I got extended lugnuts to give me proper thread engagement when I use the wheelspacers. Still thats kind of crappy. :confused:

mrpork
08-28-2007, 07:04 AM
why are you going to put wheel spacers on . i was going to put some 17x10.5 on my rear will i need spacers.On my way to work today a few miles before I got there my car started pulling really hard to the right like it was way out of alignment. So when I got to work I discovered that my front passenger tire was almost completely flat.(even though my car wasn't riding or handing bad it was just pulling) So when all the bosses went home for the day I pulled my car in the shop and found the leak and had to take the tire off to fix it. In doing so I discovered that I had 4 lugnuts that fit a 7/8 wrench(what its suppose to) and one that fit a 3/4 wrench.(all lugnuts have the same threads, I believe its 1/2-20) Of couse I was like wtf, and I check the other wheels and every other wheel had atleast 2 or 3 lugnuts that fit a 3/4 wrench and the others fit the 7/8 wrench. How did this happen I wonder. I assume it didn't leave the factory like that. I'm thinking that the people who put the new tires on my car just before I bought it goofed it up or just didn't care. The bad thing is, is that it was a Ford dealership who did it. What I guess I'll do is whenever I mount my 315's on my new wheels and put on my wheelspacers I'll get all the lugnuts that fit the 7/8 wrench and put them on the front replacing the 3/4 on their because I got extended lugnuts to give me proper thread engagement when I use the wheelspacers. Still thats kind of crappy. :confused:

RF Cobra
08-28-2007, 11:06 AM
I have a set of 17x10.5 replica chrome SVT wheels and they work fine with the stock size but haven't had a chance to put 315's on them yet. I've been told it depends on the wheels and tires that you will be using as to whether or not you will have to use spacers.

MM Performance now offers replacement bolts that don't stick out like the stock ones do to keep from rubbing the wider tires which has been an issue with the 10.5 wheels and the need for spacers. They aren't very expensive if you get them from MM Performance. I've seen them listed for twice as much on other sites that sell their stuff.

why are you going to put wheel spacers on . i was going to put some 17x10.5 on my rear will i need spacers.

JROC
08-28-2007, 02:26 PM
why are you going to put wheel spacers on . i was going to put some 17x10.5 on my rear will i need spacers.
I have 18x10.5 wheels that I'm going to mount 315's on and I want to be sure that I don't rub anything. I even got the bolts from MM to help the tires clear.

BadMoFo
08-28-2007, 05:30 PM
spacer is always good insurance. :thumbsup: sucks to put a rim on thinking you will be fine then discover it rubs and now you have to wait for a spacer to show up.

mrpork
08-28-2007, 09:43 PM
how true, and i guess you could allways send them back spacer is always good insurance. :thumbsup: sucks to put a rim on thinking you will be fine then discover it rubs and now you have to wait for a spacer to show up.

JROC
08-29-2007, 01:29 AM
EDIT: I made a mistake when I said the factory lugnut are to fit a 7/8 wrench. It should be a 13/16 wrench. Its pretty bad when a Tool Maker measures the lugs with caliper and gets the size wrong. :D