PDA

View Full Version : Cobra wont start...hissing sound comming from tank???

ScreaminMystic
09-01-2007, 05:00 PM
I was driving on the freeway today when my SES light come on, and now the cobra wont start and when you trun the key to run, i hear a hissing sound comming from the gas tank and im thinking that my fuel pump may have gone out. If anyone has any input please help. Also whos good to try and take her to in the houston area?

red04svtcobra
09-01-2007, 06:28 PM
Could be the fuel pump or the fuel cut-off switch in the truck.

ScreaminMystic
09-01-2007, 07:30 PM
well i checked the switch and its pressed down, i think ima try and replace the filter first then the pump. Hope its not much work:thumbsup:

93KingCobra
09-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Sorry to hear about that hope you get it all worked out....

jimmysidecarr
09-01-2007, 11:37 PM
Get a helper and while you are standing with your ear near the gas cap have them cycle the key to the on position with out cranking the starter. Perhaps several times.

If you hear an air type hissing from the cap...

Try opening the gas cap... and have them cycle the key again.

If the hissing stops... try starting it.

If it has a bad check valve in it it will not allow air to get in... causing severe vacuum in the tank when the pumps start pumping. I can result in a collapsed tank.

You should hear a humming sound from the pumps... not a hiss.

If it starts and runs with the gas cap off.... It's a bad gas cap and needs to be replaced.

It will set an SES light and code if you have a bad or loose gas cap... so driving around with it off will do the same thing.

But hopefully this works and you will avoid a tow bill.

Good luck with it.

03 cobra toy
09-02-2007, 10:24 AM
I think it's the fuel pressure sensor on the fuel rail...

Part # 3R3Z 9F972 AA

ScreaminMystic
09-02-2007, 03:01 PM
Why would either one of these go out so early on, she only has 13K on her?

03 cobra toy
09-02-2007, 09:16 PM
Why would either one of these go out so early on, she only has 13K on her?

Extra Boost will cause the fuel pressure sensor to break the diaphram :(

ScreaminMystic
09-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Extra Boost will cause the fuel pressure sensor to break the diaphram :(Have you had something like this happen before? I also had someone on HPD tell me the same thing, that they thought it was the FRPS. Im goin to try and get this item on monday, and replace it..any idea how much it will cost me?

Also i checked the pressure in the fuel rail by pressing in the little valve..and it spit out some fuel, so i assume that there is pressure... dont know if this info helps anyone

03 cobra toy
09-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes sir..

The sensor is located on the drivers side fuel rail. Take off the vacuum line and see if you can blow thru it. If you can the sensor is bad. The sensor cost me around $75

ScreaminMystic
09-03-2007, 12:56 PM
I cant seem to find an open ford parts department today !!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :shtowned:

ScreaminMystic
09-03-2007, 01:42 PM
Yes sir..

The sensor is located on the drivers side fuel rail. Take off the vacuum line and see if you can blow thru it. If you can the sensor is bad. The sensor cost me around $75

I pulled off the vacum line and, i can blow in the vacum line, but not the sensor, i dont think anyway, cause i didnt remove the sensor, but i tried to blow in the vacum line connector and dont think it was blowing through. For some reason i tnhink im gonna be spending 200+ just tryin to figure out whats wrong
:mad:

03 cobra toy
09-03-2007, 03:49 PM
Sorry.... I should have told you to remove the sensor before you test it..

ScreaminMystic
09-03-2007, 10:16 PM
well i tried to do that, and it started to spit out fuel at me, so i put it back on real fast like, i never pulled it off all the way, just started to pull it off, and then it start spitting fuel...this freakin sucks:(

Firme
09-04-2007, 07:17 AM
Out of curiosity, what code is it throwing for the SES?

ScreaminMystic
09-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Out of curiosity, what code is it throwing for the SES?
Well all i have to check the DTC's is my hypertech programer, and the cose were...P7A00 <-zeros, And P6C38 <- not sure about this cause im at work, but i googled and searched these codes down, to be told that they mean nothing? Because OBDII codes only have 1 letter in them, and i can put my progremmer on there again today and get the same codes. I can get the FRPS for like $76. i guess ima try that first, but i think its pump, for some reason, just from how loud it is when i turn the key to run. i have had this car for almost 3 months now, and have NEVER heard the pump make this noise, if i have to replace the pump, should i get an after market in-line, or go with something like theh GT Pumps i can find those for like 250 i think....any help would be great!

red04svtcobra
09-04-2007, 03:21 PM
If its the pumps I would go ahead and upgrade them that way in the future if you decide to turn the wick up on it some you don't have to worry about the motor starving for fuel.

ScreaminMystic
09-04-2007, 07:38 PM
If its the pumps I would go ahead and upgrade them that way in the future if you decide to turn the wick up on it some you don't have to worry about the motor starving for fuel.
What brand should go with if i need to replace the pump? Is it in-line or in tank?

ScreaminMystic
09-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Back up and running...buying a CAI today!!

jimmysidecarr
09-05-2007, 02:07 PM
Back up and running...buying a CAI today!!

WHaaaOOOAAAAHHH!!! Not so fast!!!

What fixed it???

ScreaminMystic
09-05-2007, 02:18 PM
WHaaaOOOAAAAHHH!!! Not so fast!!!

What fixed it???
The freakin FRPS was bad...took like 3 min to replace, then she cranked up like she was a sleeping giant that had not eatin' in months:bounce: :bounce:

03 cobra toy
09-05-2007, 03:16 PM
The freakin FRPS was bad...took like 3 min to replace, then she cranked up like she was a sleeping giant that had not eatin' in months:bounce: :bounce:

Cool :thumbsup:

I keep an extra one in my racing tool box :D

Larry95
09-05-2007, 04:57 PM
For those of us that grew up on pushrods and carbs I guess FRPS is something like (fuel rail pressure sensor) or am I all wet?

03 cobra toy
09-05-2007, 05:17 PM
For those of us that grew up on pushrods and carbs I guess FRPS is something like (fuel rail pressure sensor) or am I all wet?

You got it :thumbsup:

Larry95
09-05-2007, 05:29 PM
You got it :thumbsup:Who said an old dog can't learn a new trick or two?

red04svtcobra
09-05-2007, 05:58 PM
Glad you got her fixed.

Larry95
09-05-2007, 06:39 PM
So what was the hissing sound?

ScreaminMystic
09-05-2007, 08:50 PM
I guess the fuel pump was doing something odd since the FRPS was out, not really sure, but i dont hear it as loud as i did, could be the awesome sound of the engine taking over my hearing...but who knows. I do know that soon i will be up grading the fuel system, for now JLT CAI...and im thinking either MAC or Flowmaster 3" cat backs. I like bassani but its 2.5".

Firme
09-05-2007, 11:30 PM
:D

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14590

Jesse99
09-09-2007, 03:41 PM
The same thing happend to my car.. The car turned, but it wouldn't start.. It ended up being the sensor plug next to my Crank (Front near the AC).. After replacing it, the car started up.. Hope that helps :thumbsup:

Also you may consider checking the CCRM (Constant Control Relay Module) I also replaced mine..

Angel
09-10-2007, 01:38 PM
I guess the fuel pump was doing something odd since the FRPS was out, not really sure, but i dont hear it as loud as i did, could be the awesome sound of the engine taking over my hearing...but who knows. I do know that soon i will be up grading the fuel system, for now JLT CAI...and im thinking either MAC or Flowmaster 3" cat backs. I like bassani but its 2.5".
I know several guys with Terminators having the all Bassini and it sounds great in 2.5"; - catted or offroad. I been told that unless it is more than 500 hp at the wheels, 2.5" pipes is good.:thumbsup: I'd run the largest diameter tailpipe out back from the muff to deepen the sound.:bounce:

Keep us updated on how it all goes. :)