PDA

View Full Version : clutch may be bad!!!

red04svtcobra
09-01-2007, 06:38 PM
My cobra has 6,000 miles on it making 486RWHP and 511 RWTQ with the stock clutch in it, at least I think it does. My question is when I first bought the car it seemed to have alot more growl when I stompped on it in 2nd gear, spinning the tires. Now it seems to not have as much to break the tires loose. Today I was out playing around some and even tried dumping the clutch going into second trying to break the tires loose and it chirped the tires very little and didn't even continue to spin the tires. I could be wrong but I don't think the tires are spinning at all, tried looking in the rear view mirror to see if I laid some black marks and NONE at all, it just doesn't feel as strong!! Could my clutch be going south on me? The revs don't rev up that quick as I would expect from a slipping clutch so I don't know what it could be. Also, something else I noticed is that when I pulled into my development I was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd and as I was putting it in 2nd gear it felt like the gears where still spinning in the trans, did it going into 1st too. What could be wrong here? I am planning on upgrading the clutch to a spec 2+ or a spec 3, fidanza alum. flywheel, 26 spline liberty input shaft, TOB sleeve as well as new TOB, pilot bearing, Fiore or MM quadrant & adjuster, and some syncromesh fluid. How is this setup? What power will this hold up to? Also, can someone give a price quote to get this done. Thanks, Chris

blk04cobra1
09-02-2007, 07:54 AM
pm sent

red04svtcobra
09-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks Torrey, PM sent.

ausie
09-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Once the stock clutch wears down it may not slip. Wore my first clutch to the rivits and it still grabbed like new. However, when taking it easy was when I noticed a bit of chatter (very slight) along with an occasional noise that is difficult to describe in text.

I would also think about the clutch pack in the differential as well. Once the differential clutch wears out, the transfer of power becomes lost since the differential is not locking properly. If you have ever experienced sitting still when you are trying to pull out with the trans in gear and slight throttle (and your foot off of the clutch) and then all of a sudden the car lurches as if there was some delay at the rear wheels (feels like a slipping automatic trans).