PDA

View Full Version : foggy head lights

svtsilversnake
09-02-2007, 03:56 PM
my head lights are gettin pretty fogged over. and i was woundering i can just buy the lens or if i need the assembly. or can i just get a buff pad and some rubbing compund and work it out then polish it. ive seen it done but would i just be better off buying new ones from americanmuscle.com ($200 shipped)

nckissfan
09-02-2007, 05:29 PM
www.50resto.com sells just the headlights,

RF Cobra
09-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Once you clean the old ones or put new ones on be sure you wax them when you wax the car, preferably with one of the waxes that has UV protectors and they will last a lot longer.

red04svtcobra
09-02-2007, 10:36 PM
I remember reading a post somewhere that a guy wet sanded his headlights because they where foggy and then waxed them and it cam out awesome. I will see if I can find the thread for you.

HotRod98
09-02-2007, 11:51 PM
I have done that with mine. They were rough and yellowed to the point that I could not see well at night unless I turned my driving lights on. I got some 2000 wet/dry and wet sanded them until they were smooth, then buffed them out with Meguiars PlastX clear plastic polish and cleaner (autozone, like $4) on a terry cloth wax pad. It didn't removes some of the really deep pits, but it was a 200% improvement in both looks and clarity of the headlights.

The only thing I'm going to do different if I do it again is to wet sand with 1500 first, then the 2000. I think the 1500 would get some of the deeper pits out. My other recommendation is to take the whole headlight assembly out of the car. I did my right in the car, and the left out of the car. The left one worked so well that I removed the right one and did it over.

Hope this helps you out.

marshman 442
09-04-2007, 04:06 PM
This works for all clear plastics as well......good tip.

1-QIK-SNK
09-04-2007, 07:55 PM
I have done that to both head and fog lights, but I started with 1000 then to 1500 then to 2000 then polinshed them out. Worked very good. Dont be afraid to start at 1000. It will be ok.

Kerry

I have done that with mine. They were rough and yellowed to the point that I could not see well at night unless I turned my driving lights on. I got some 2000 wet/dry and wet sanded them until they were smooth, then buffed them out with Meguiars PlastX clear plastic polish and cleaner (autozone, like $4) on a terry cloth wax pad. It didn't removes some of the really deep pits, but it was a 200% improvement in both looks and clarity of the headlights.

The only thing I'm going to do different if I do it again is to wet sand with 1500 first, then the 2000. I think the 1500 would get some of the deeper pits out. My other recommendation is to take the whole headlight assembly out of the car. I did my right in the car, and the left out of the car. The left one worked so well that I removed the right one and did it over.

Hope this helps you out.

SNAKEYE
09-11-2007, 12:34 PM
I used water, Bon Ami cleanser, and a puffing pad on my variable speed electric drill running at low-to-medium speed, followed by a hand-applied light polishing with "Scratch Out".
Don't use any other cleanser, only Bon Ami!

dewone
09-12-2007, 10:00 AM
I read years ago to use tooth past on scratched or yellowed plastic lens (Buick Club restoration tips). ie. Crest, Colgate...Paste not the gels. Same results as the wet sanding, and most likelly in your the bath room med cabinet!