PDA

View Full Version : 97 clutch install prob.

BigD
09-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Hey guys, trying to put a new clutch in my car. Got everything off, even the damn starter :mad: . I can get the driver side of the trans to slide out 1/2" but the passenger side wont budge. I have taken out the three bolts on the drivers side, the 2 on the passenger, and the 2 top bolts. Feels like Im missing one but I dont see any others, and the haynes doesnt show any other. The thing is as level with as I can get with the trans jack. Ive wiggled the tail end of the thing, slammed it back and forth :), nothin. Even took a small sledge to the front of the bellhousing where the tin shield is. Any ideas? I hate to have to put this thing all back together and drive it to a shop...

Drew

dewone
09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Is the shifter out from above the trans?

BigD
09-15-2007, 07:32 PM
OK, all back together woot! question though. I do smell a little clutch. A little tough to put in 5th or reverse, maybe even 1st. Im thinking the clutch is not totally disengaging. Stock quadrant is totally maxed out. I have a new UPR one coming, but is there any other way to tighten up the clutch cable? I think its about 1/4" off.

Sound right?

flynfink
09-16-2007, 09:22 AM
So what was the problem?

BigD
09-16-2007, 11:18 AM
just doesnt feel like the clutch is totally engaging, akthough there is no pulling with the clutch in. its just a little hard to shift and a little smell. the quadrant is all the way out. is there any other way to pick up a little slack in the cable?

sssvtcobra
09-18-2007, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure about the shifting, but the smell is usual from my understanding when you put in a new clutch. I had to replace one in my old '94 GT, and had some clutch smell but the shifting was fine.