PDA

View Full Version : ? for the road race guys

scorpio
09-06-2007, 10:27 PM
what type of rotors and pads are u running? i know i need to upgrade the brake lines , but what else would u guys suggest i get done before the msr event in november? this will be my first road race event to participate in.

i was planning on powerslot rotors, hawk pads , stainless steel brake lines and getting some subframe connectors.what else do i need?

thanx for any help u can give... shawn.

Bartman01
09-06-2007, 10:44 PM
First time out:
Stock rotors/stock brakes.
Now - stock rotors/light track duty brakes (Hawk HPS)

Good brake fluid is a must.
Subframes are a good idea.
SS brake lines can't hurt either, since they help with pedal feel - but honestly as a first timer you will have so much info overload that brake pedal feel will be the last thing you are paying attention too.

jimmysidecarr
09-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Bart's right!!

Plus there is a very real advantage to breaking in new pads on old rotors.

Unless your rotors are cracked or worn out(under thickness spec) or warped and shaking... run them.

Also save your take off pads, and keep them as spares. If you or a friend ever blow through your pad material during an event you will still have something to drive home on.... or finish the event on.
SFCs are an excellent early mod but not huge deal.
My first mod was brake cooling ducts.... but I knew I was going to be tracking before I ever even bought my car... plus I have some autocross and Ice Race experience... so I knew I would be pushing pretty hard fairly early.

When it is time to buy rotors I only buy stock 13" Brembos... no slots... no holes... and as cheap as I can find them.

Currently the best deal on them that I have found is BuyFordRacing.com... same place I bought my calipers and race rims.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=620

The 96 through 98 cars are the ones that have issues with stock brake hoses... 99 through 04 I believe are fine if you want to wait.

You will be consuming tires, brake pads and quite a bit of fuel so that is why we like to keep our new folks from going whole hog on mods until they really feel they need them.

As you get faster... brake cooling hoses allow you to run a more streetable brake pad... before you switch over to the.... not so good for the street, harder, dustier and noisier track pads.

I ran stock brakes and pads for quite a while...

SuperG
09-07-2007, 08:20 AM
Yep...totally agree with Bart and Jimmy! I still use stock brakes and lifetime warranty pads...have been for 3-4 years. I use a better fluid and I flush the lines a bit at the track.

Admiral
09-07-2007, 11:26 AM
I used to buy the stock brembo 13" rotors at Tirerack.com, $78 each. Got a race buddy who just advertised he can get them cheaper than that:

I have also found a great deal on Brembo replacement Cobra 13" rotors, part # 27005.

$62.30 each

Let me know if you need a set.

Best regards,
John G.
jg@chicane23.com

972-743-7543

scorpio
09-07-2007, 06:07 PM
thanks for your help guys. what type of helmet do u guys suggest?

93Hatch
09-07-2007, 06:36 PM
thanks for your help guys. what type of helmet do u guys suggest?

As Jimmy told me: SA2000 or newer. SummitRacing carries some, but someone gave me this link as well:

http://www.gforce.com/products/main.php

scorpio
09-07-2007, 06:42 PM
i saw that too. guess i was just sleeping. thanx.

03 cobra toy
09-07-2007, 06:53 PM
Great helmet deal...

http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=67681

Carl G
09-07-2007, 09:34 PM
Bart and Jimmy are right on target. As a first timer you will have more than your hands full and track overload. Your first event you want hit speeds that will require anything other than stock pads. I would suggest the stainless brake lines and new fluid. After your first event then go to different tires and pads. You car will handle completely different. Your first event just have fun learning all the advice your instructor will provide. Learn how to use your mirrors and give good hand signals and you will be hooked from then on, just like the rest of us track junkies. Man just talking about this is getting me fired up. Cant wait :thumbsup: