PDA

View Full Version : 3.4L Whipple Super Charger

mfelice03
09-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Anyone have one? What kind of numbers are you getting out of it? Any internal mods like cylinder heads/cams? Is it worth $4k?

blueblazes
09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
unless your gonna spin that sucker to 28ish lbs of boost your better off buying a kb2.6h or a 2.3 whipple. The whipples can be gotten for 2909 shipped to your door.

The 3.4 whipples dont make big numbers till you turn the boost up and some have argued that you need bigger than 4.6 displacement i.e. 302 stroker to take advantage of the big blower.

The numbers that have been floating around on modular fords havent been that impressive. The ones who are spinning it up to 28ish psi are getting some great track times out of it. Those who are trying to run 17-22lbs of boost are getting lower #'s than the 2.6kb and 2.3 whipple in same territory. Its all about efficiency range.

Unless your willing to run race gas then the 3.4 really isnt a great option. You can run 17lbs of boost on 93 octane or you can run 19 and pull timing <whats point make about same power>. But once you start getting up there in boost you have to start either pulling loads of timing or run race gas. Which in turn eats up your 02's

mfelice03
09-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks for that info, that was extremely helpful. I'll definitely look into the smaller Whipples/KB. Is there one you recommend over the other and what size?

Thanks again...:)

blueblazes
09-09-2007, 06:56 PM
really depends on your plans and what you want to do.

I use a whipple its pricing was great at 2909 shipped. The new kb 2.6h and 2.8h are both great blowers. Only downside to the kb blowers is that you have to either buy them from kb or you have to buy them from dealer and them install it. They tend to be in the upper 3k range depending on options and model you get.

The 2.6h is plenty of blower for everyday street car. The 2.8h is more for the big dog cars with strokers cams headwork. If you planning on keeping the boost at around 17-20ish psi stick with 2.3 whipple or 2.6h kb. If you plan on going 24 or more psi then look into the 2.8h kb.

Just plan everything out and make sure you get all the right stuff up front so your not looking for parts at last minute. I.E. pumps, maf, injectors, yada yada yada

mfelice03
09-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Where did you get your whipple, 2900 is a great price. What size pulleys are you running?

Thanks again...:)

blueblazes
09-09-2007, 09:07 PM
steve at tousley ford
can find him on svtperformance.com as fordsvtparts
2909 shipped for the 2.3 whipple (black)

I run the stock upper with a 4lb lower setup

countrysvt
09-10-2007, 08:15 AM
steve at tousley ford
can find him on svtperformance.com as fordsvtparts
2909 shipped for the 2.3 whipple (black)

I run the stock upper with a 4lb lower setup
what r your mods and dyno if you dont mind me asking im wanting to run the the whipple as well i have a 4lb lower.

blueblazes
09-10-2007, 12:46 PM
I have bassani exhaust, jlt cai, whipple, gt pumps, dual fpdm, 60# injectors, ba 2400 maf, steggy ported tb.

My car was tuned on a mustang dyno <eddy current>

blk04cobra1
09-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Like blue has said, early results show that the 3.4 needs to be spun hard to make good power...one other downside is I dont think anyone has been able to get it to fit under the stock hood.

blueblazes
09-10-2007, 10:16 PM
Like blue has said, early results show that the 3.4 needs to be spun hard to make good power...one other downside is I dont think anyone has been able to get it to fit under the stock hood.good point torrey i forgot to mention that. The 3.4 requires hood clearance modifications or an aftermarket hood.

countrysvt
09-11-2007, 11:08 AM
I have bassani exhaust, jlt cai, whipple, gt pumps, dual fpdm, 60# injectors, ba 2400 maf, steggy ported tb.

My car was tuned on a mustang dyno <eddy current>
what is your boost and hp, i have everything except fuel pumps and injectors and maf!!

blueblazes
09-11-2007, 12:22 PM
with whipple on 17lbs of boost it made consistent 560-580's across several dyno pulls. Of course the more we pulled the more hte hp went down due to heat soak. Torque and HP peaks were both in the 560-580 ranges. These were all done on an eddy current loading dyno <mustang dyno>, so if you tried to compare these #'s to dynojet then add 12% on top of that to get rough idea. (627-650)

It was on 93 octane with 17.75* of timing.

blk04cobra1
09-11-2007, 05:25 PM
what is your boost and hp, i have everything except fuel pumps and injectors and maf!!you will want these to see anything over 550rwhp...some cannot even see those numbers w/out upgrading...IMO, I would do twin GT40 pumps, 60lb injectors, and a SCT2600 MAF :thumbsup:

03slidewayzSVT
09-11-2007, 07:03 PM
with whipple on 17lbs of boost it made consistent 560-580's across several dyno pulls. Of course the more we pulled the more hte hp went down due to heat soak. Torque and HP peaks were both in the 560-580 ranges. These were all done on an eddy current loading dyno <mustang dyno>, so if you tried to compare these #'s to dynojet then add 12% on top of that to get rough idea. (627-650)

It was on 93 octane with 17.75* of timing.

Do you know that for a FACT??? Or is that what mustang dyno told you...I bet you your wrong!!!! If you want dyno jet # take it to a dynojet don't speculate...Quit telling people dyno jet # if you don't have a dynojet....

blueblazes
09-12-2007, 12:49 AM
yes as a matter of fact I do. Thanks for asking adam. I had the oppurtunity to dyno my car at MM Performance <great group of guys for anyone that needs any work done> and it made 476 had it on mustang dyno same day and it made in 420's. This is approximately 12% difference between them. Will and Torrey are super nice guys and would recommend them to anyone on the boards for any work they need :thumbsup::thumbsup:

So I use this as a reference point to compare the 2 accurately based on my personal experience. I have also seen several other people do the same with a margin of difference of 1-2%.

countrysvt
09-12-2007, 09:27 PM
thanks for the info i guess im going to have to go with a steggy and the other upgrades whipple later on!

blueblazes
09-12-2007, 10:16 PM
you can run a whipple on 13lbs on stock pumps, with 60# injectors.The maf will definately peg. Cobra4me is running his whipple on 13lbs and has 60lb injectors on stock pumps with sct 2600 maf, but hes running out of pump up top.

spincobra03
09-13-2007, 10:15 PM
well as you said you are using a rule of thumb as your conversion. 17lbs of boost on a whiiple can easily make over 600 rwhp on a dyno jet as most people know but 2 different dynos produce different numbers and each car makes different power so you cant use 12% as the norm.

blueblazes
09-13-2007, 11:16 PM
your 110% correct some dynojets have different drums so they can read a bit differently some higher some lower but ive yet to see any within 10% range of mustang dyno just from personal experience and others ive seen. Theres a dynojet about 10minutes from the guy who tunes my car and some of the guys who leave the shop and want to see the big #'s will ride up there and put it on his dynojet and they average around 10-14% difference. So thats why i use 12% as a reference point because its safe and its what ive seen. The funny part about it, is the guy who owns that dynojet is a professional drag racer. Runs in 10.5 outlaw and limited street sometimes. He will put his car on his dynojet to test parts combinations but when he wants to tune in his new application he will use the mustang dyno:thumbsup:

Im not trying to blow smoke up someones ass im just trying to give people a reference since most people are familiar with inertia dynojet #'s. You post up and say hey i made 420hp with pulley and tune and they are like wtf i made 440 without a pulley with just a tune. Its just a difference in how things are read. I expect people to become more and more familiar with mustang dyno #'s however, with the growing popularity of eddy current loading dynos. Eddy current dynos are more well known around the turbo community but are becoming more and more well known as alot of tuners are moving away from inertia and moving to eddy current dynes for their benefits when tuning cars.

Fortunately for me the guy who tunes my car uses a mustang dyno, its one of the reasons why I chose him over some other people.

Sorry to the op for the hi-jack of your thread, was just trying to answer your questions and then kinda got off track when 03slidewayz posted his questions to me.

blueblazes
09-13-2007, 11:49 PM
To the original poster
here is a thread on modular fords that is a good read about the new 3.4 whipple.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f17/whipple-3-4-110mm-maf-30psi-91965.html

I was pretty dissapointed with the #'s to be honest. However this is a stock motor with some bolt ons.
JLT 110mm MAF, and just a straight shot RAI intake with a 12" filter.

Basic synopsis:
30psi the car made 660hp 691 tq on dynojet.

25psi it made 650 645

25psi 75 shot dry it made 714 751

Ive yet to see some built bottom end ported heads cams #'s with this blower though.

Theres a guy who posted a thread with a 2.8hkb on 29psi with an automatic he didnt post #'s but is going to later after a track event, so im kinda curious how thats gonna turn out.

NO 5 OH
09-16-2007, 05:56 AM
To the original poster
here is a thread on modular fords that is a good read about the new 3.4 whipple.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f17/whipple-3-4-110mm-maf-30psi-91965.html

I was pretty dissapointed with the #'s to be honest. However this is a stock motor with some bolt ons.
JLT 110mm MAF, and just a straight shot RAI intake with a 12" filter.

Basic synopsis:
30psi the car made 660hp 691 tq on dynojet.

25psi it made 650 645

Geez... so many people race on the dyno these days :rolleyes: A dyno is a very effective tool for tuning... and giving people big heads saying "my car dynos XXX horsepower!"

That same car with the dissapointing numbers to you has gone a best of 9.986 @ 139.6 MPH on the above numbers at 25 psi. He did this with the track temps that day in the 120's (I talk to him a lot so I know this for a fact) so the conditions he ran in were far less than optimal. I'm betting with cooler weather it could very well get into the 9.80's range on that amount of boost.

I have never seen a 2.3L Whipple car run 140 out the back door on a day that hot.

Shannon

blueblazes
09-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Geez... so many people race on the dyno these days :rolleyes: A dyno is a very effective tool for tuning... and giving people big heads saying "my car dynos XXX horsepower!"

That same car with the dissapointing numbers to you has gone a best of 9.986 @ 139.6 MPH on the above numbers at 25 psi. He did this with the track temps that day in the 120's (I talk to him a lot so I know this for a fact) so the conditions he ran in were far less than optimal. I'm betting with cooler weather it could very well get into the 9.80's range on that amount of boost.

I have never seen a 2.3L Whipple car run 140 out the back door on a day that hot.

ShannonI still think its dissapointing #'s, but i agree #'s dont mean times. I am like you waiting to see more of these out on the track, time will show more of what they are capable of.

mfelice03
09-19-2007, 01:01 AM
I've settled on the KB 2.6, ported heads, crower cams. Numbers to follow in a few months.

:)

blueblazes
09-19-2007, 12:13 PM
new thread popped up on modular fords

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f17/3-4-25psi-new-maf-intake-92202.html

141mph on 25psi thats scootin

Y2KCOBRA88
09-29-2007, 12:12 PM
2004 COBRA with Whipple 2.3, accufab, 60lb injectors, c&l cai, kennybell boost a pump, bassani xpipe.... tuned by strictly performance. stock upper and 6lb lower, 17.5 lbs boost. 605 rwhp. 1.67 60 ft, 10.9 1/4 mile. I have 14000 miles since changover on mine with that tune and no problems what so ever. I would definitely buy a whipple again. I have 43000 miles on my car total. still runs as strong as ever. when I get my long tubes it will be much better. ask the tuner to be conservative at 600 rwhp and your stock pistons, tranny, even stock clutch will hold out. get a rearend brace though for sure...

mfelice03
10-02-2007, 07:09 PM
So much for the new KB...I totalled my minivan so the money I had for my car went toward a new minivan.:mad:

Maybe in the spring....

scorpio
10-02-2007, 10:50 PM
only one i know of is on a 5.4 aluminum block( ford gt motor) in a lightning. dont know what he made yet. still breaking it in last i heard.

04Beasst
10-04-2007, 03:39 AM
blueblazes and 2KCOBRA88, thanks for the awesome information. I'm currently debating which blower to buy and the info both of you provided is extremely helpful. Sounds like the Whipple 2.3 is the way to go. Here's what I currently have on the car, can you please recommend what else is required to include pulleys...looking for 600 RWHP:

On my 04 right now:
Exhaust: Bassani Mid-length headers, Bassani X-Pipe and Borla Stinger CBs
Cooling: Double pass heat exchanger, aluminum overflow and radiator tanks.
Intake: BBK CAI, SCT 2600 MAF, Accufab Single blade TB
Tune: Diablosport CMR Chip

Equipment needed???:
1. Whipple SC
2. 60lb Injectors
3. Fuel pump(s)
4. Lower/upper pulleys???
5. Tune??? not sure if you can tune the CMR Chip...is a predator hand-held tuner required to tune properly??
6. IRS Brace???

Any additional help you can provide would be greatly appreciated??

blk04cobra1
10-04-2007, 09:33 AM
1. Whipple SC
2. 60lb Injectors
3. Fuel pump(s)
4. Lower/upper pulleys???
5. Tune??? not sure if you can tune the CMR Chip...is a predator hand-held tuner required to tune properly??
6. IRS Brace???

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Twin GT40's will do it...or a KB BAP
4. 4lb lower and 3.5 upper should do the trick
5. If it's the Revolution chip by Diablosport, then it can be tuned...my suggestion would be to get whatever your local tuner tunes with to make it easier
6. No needed, but highly recommended. The factory halfshafts have seen 9 second passes, but any rear upgrades are always a good thing :thumbsup:

good luck on your quest, 600rwhp is not to hard to get with the proper setup.

04Beasst
10-04-2007, 06:53 PM
TKS...appreciate the info!

blueblazes
10-04-2007, 11:21 PM
what torrey said

also if you go dual gt40 pumps then you either need to upgrade your fpdm or run dual fpdms.