PDA

View Full Version : I'm Freaking Out!!


Cross
09-09-2007, 12:01 AM
Okay, guys, I have a confession. I'm a newbie stick driver. There, I said it. I've only driven stick for a couple of months and I primarily learned with my Cobra. If I've offended anyone I'm sorry. But I was with good people so the car didn't get hurt during my not so finest hour. Anyways, I'm freaking out because I find shifting to be a little difficult at times. I mean, I shift well, lets say 75% of the time but its the other 25% that scares me. I shift and I hear two things: rattles and clunks. The rattles comes when I'm either starting slow in a high gear or even rolling in 2nd and then applying gas. The clunks happen when I shift fast or sometimes shift period. I've tried everything from applying more gas when releasing the clutch to releasing faster to releasing slower. Some things work better than others such as applying more gas, as I find that seems to smooth some of the clunk (but adds to the rattle). I've always driven automatic (again, I'm sorry) and this is my first stick. I'm just worried about all these sounds as I don't know whats causing them or how to fix them. Any tips on how to better drive stick...SINCERELY appreciated. :hail:

cobrabitn
09-09-2007, 12:17 AM
No one taught me to drive a stick, sometimes it just comes natural. My dad had automatics in everything but I believe the best car to learn to drive a stick for a first timer is an old VW bug.

Rattles and clunks is pretty much the norm for these cars unless it is excessively obvious. I wouldn't let it bother me and basically practice makes perfect when it comes to shifting your snake. I still have problems with my 04 and I have been driving manual transmission since the early 80's. If you think it is a mechanical problem, then I would have a competent mechanic take a look at it for you.

red04svtcobra
09-09-2007, 07:50 AM
The rattles will do that in any car if you are in a high gear while going slow or taking off, not just the cobra or you. The only advice I can give you over the internet is practice!! If taking off is the problem just think of it as the amount of gas you give release the clutch that same amount. If you are already moving it is alot easier to do. Good luck

aseyller
09-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Yeah, don't feel bad...I learned the stick on a '73 VW Fastback with a finicky clutch. However, this '01 Cobra is embarrassing me....every linkage and shift pattern is different. Practice is the key!

Now if I can just get the windows tinted so I don't have to see the looks on people's faces when I make the car jump...course, they could be admiring the car, but I think it's more a look of pity for the ignorant-acting driver! LOL

Cross
09-09-2007, 05:01 PM
Oh, I know that feeling. I think it really comes down to working with the car. I love my car and I just don't want to see it get ruined cause I did something that I maybe shoudn't have done. Although, I do want to be able to have it moving well by the time I put it away for winter. Next year I want to start modding it so I better get all the "small details" out of the way now.

tazzracing1
09-09-2007, 08:24 PM
We all had to learn sometime. Where are you from ?? I learned in my Dads truck that was 2 days old and nothing but ice on the road.

Cross
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm from Ontario, Canada, and our winters can be challenging, trust me. I put my car away in the winter, as I would never try to drive a Cobra in snow, even if I didn't care about the salt eating away at the body. I already enjoy how my car cant get a decent grip on damp roads in either first OR second gear. Anyways, the shifting is going a bit better..still jumps occasionally and the clunks are enough to kill me but slowly I'm figuring it out.:bounce: