PDA

View Full Version : overheated cobra

03sonicbluecobr
09-12-2007, 07:59 PM
I have an issue
I have an 03 cobra, with an overheating problem..
it happens 20 minutes into a ride,
changed the thermo twice.
filled the coolant three times, burped and ran it twice..
and still the overheating occurs..
an y ideas please help..
:mad:

Big T
09-12-2007, 11:17 PM
[QUOTE=03sonicbluecobr]I have an issue
I have an 03 cobra, with an overheating problem..
it happens 20 minutes into a ride,
changed the thermo twice.
filled the coolant three times, burped and ran it twice..
and still the overheating occurs..
an y ideas please help..
You may have to take it to a shop to get the coolant changed. If you have some air in there it can be very hard to get out even using the burping procedure. I once tried to get it out myself for 2 mos. and finally gave up. I've had no problems since.

99cobrasvt
09-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I had an overheating problem with my 03 and I had the dealer change the coolant, thermostat, etc...I finally had them change the plastic overflow tank...it seems the intake where the radiator cap screws on was slightly out of round and did not seal correctly...hope this helps.

red04svtcobra
09-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Man there have been alot of cobras overheating lately. Makes we want to think twice about adding the LDC cooling mod this winter when I do the clutch upgrade. Hope you find out why its doing it, good luck.

Kenny04Cobra
09-13-2007, 08:02 AM
Man there have been alot of cobras overheating lately. Makes we want to think twice about adding the LDC cooling mod this winter when I do the clutch upgrade. Hope you find out why its doing it, good luck.how many miles do u guys have on your car? im tryng to see when this overheating problem occurs...

Kenny

03sonicbluecobr
09-13-2007, 09:00 PM
I had an overheating problem with my 03 and I had the dealer change the coolant, thermostat, etc...I finally had them change the plastic overflow tank...it seems the intake where the radiator cap screws on was slightly out of round and did not seal correctly...hope this helps.
The shop seems to think its the head gasket..
i hear its very rare on this car for that to happen..
has anyone ever seem one go..???
I have basic mods and the same stock eaton supercharger..
I changed the pulley and used a tune on a diablo predator..
i also changed the thermostat..
all done at a very respectable mustang shop..
and know this..
I am very frustrated..

03slidewayzSVT
09-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Where did you fill the cooling system with ant-freeze???

03slidewayzSVT
09-13-2007, 09:07 PM
The shop seems to think its the head gasket..
i hear its very rare on this car for that to happen..
has anyone ever seem one go..???
I have basic mods and the same stock eaton supercharger..
I changed the pulley and used a tune on a diablo predator..
i also changed the thermostat..
all done at a very respectable mustang shop..
and know this..
I am very frustrated..
Yes, they build pressure in the resevoir and some will crack and blow out....I just got done with a Lightning that just did the same thing...

blueblazes
09-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Yes, they build pressure in the resevoir and some will crack and blow out....I just got done with a Lightning that just did the same thing...my brothers blew the seal out of his tank on his car to. I even saw where someone with a aluminum canton tank blew the welds off of it, so apparently these things can get some serious pressure build up in there. Take yours off and fill it with some water and hold it upside down and see if water leaks out around the cap, or around the seams. This is how we found my brothers leak.

Also curious where you filled your antifreeze at. Should use the little filler port on the crossover tube on the drivers side of the blower snout.

03slidewayzSVT
09-14-2007, 07:50 AM
my brothers blew the seal out of his tank on his car to. I even saw where someone with a aluminum canton tank blew the welds off of it, so apparently these things can get some serious pressure build up in there. Take yours off and fill it with some water and hold it upside down and see if water leaks out around the cap, or around the seams. This is how we found my brothers leak.

Also curious where you filled your antifreeze at. Should use the little filler port on the crossover tube on the drivers side of the blower snout.

:thumbsup: Thats it....

red04svtcobra
09-14-2007, 08:02 AM
how many miles do u guys have on your car? im tryng to see when this overheating problem occurs...

KennyMines only got 6,000 on her. I think alot of these overheating issues occur AFTER someone breaks the seal on the system I guess. Thats why I am worried what may happen when I do my clutch upgrade along with the cooling mod. Will I will aquire an overheating issue or not??? We will see within the next month or 2.

03slidewayzSVT
09-14-2007, 06:48 PM
If you do it right you wll not have a problem...I'v done plenty with no problems at all....Just make sure who ever does it knows what thet are doing..:thumbsup:

Shane361
09-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Here is the deal, I just got a new motor installed by Ford and they didnt burp the system properly. I over heated sitting still moving etc etc. Sometimes it is damn near impossible to burp it without Ford using their machines to draw the air and coolant out and then fill it. Also..I thought it was my thermostat so I replaced it with one from a local parts store. They said it was the OEM replacement. They were WRONG..it was too short which does matter and it opened up at 193 instead of 180. I took the car to Ford and got a coolant flush and a Ford thermo installed. It runs perfect now. I read 100's of post on like 10 forums about burping and did it over and over etc etc. Take it to ford and spend the $130 bucks-Shane

03sonicbluecobr
09-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Well here it is boys, the cars at a Ford dealer right now..
and its a head gasket..

Seems kinda impossible based on the readings on line everywhere, but hey..
What do you do..

do you think that maybe.. just maybe it was the Gm Thermostat that was installed by accident:mad: :mad: :mad:

Big T
09-20-2007, 10:50 PM
how many miles do u guys have on your car? im tryng to see when this overheating problem occurs...

Kenny
Happened to me after changing the coolant at a speede oil. They didn't do it right and air got in there.

Big T
09-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Well here it is boys, the cars at a Ford dealer right now..
and its a head gasket..

Seems kinda impossible based on the readings on line everywhere, but hey..
What do you do..

do you think that maybe.. just maybe it was the Gm Thermostat that was installed by accident:mad: :mad: :mad:
That sucks. Hope it's under warranty. Did you drive it while it was overheated? Do you have any mods? Which side head?

03sonicbluecobr
09-22-2007, 03:19 PM
Fords doin the flippity flop, right now..
Dealer says no way.. Ford says do it its under warranty..
etc...
""I believe the term is like sands thru the hour glass...
Service manager is a real jerk off..
:mad:
Its not like this is a taurus..
20,000 miles are all thats on her..