PDA

View Full Version : regular gas

ampickle
09-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Wife put 3 gal of reg unleaded in my Cobra. She drove it about 15 miles. Should I not worry and just fill it up with premium. It seems to run fine but I am not pushing it.

blueblazes
09-16-2007, 01:54 PM
you will be fine AS LONG AS YOU STAY OUT OF BOOST it is a low compression motor so it will be fine with 87 octane as long as you stay out of the boost.

Just go for a sunday ride and burn the gas out then fill it up with 93. If your really worried find local station with some 100 and put couple gallons in.

When in doubt dont boost :thumbsup:

ampickle
09-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Thanks, I dont know of any 100 octaine stations. I was thinking of putting 93 and some octaine boost in. There is only about 2 gallons left by know.

Firme
09-17-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks, I dont know of any 100 octaine stations. I was thinking of putting 93 and some octaine boost in. There is only about 2 gallons left by know.

Octane boost only boosts octane by some ridicules low amount, like .4 octane.

blk04cobra1
09-17-2007, 09:54 AM
octane booster has also been known to foul out your spark plugs as well...I would just cruise around (out of boost like said above), then refill with 93 octane and you should be fine :thumbsup:

red04svtcobra
09-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks, I dont know of any 100 octaine stations. I was thinking of putting 93 and some octaine boost in. There is only about 2 gallons left by know.Don't ever run your tank that close to empty!!! I have read of people burning out their fuel pumps in the tank because they run the tank close to empty. The pump needs fuel to keep it cool and if it has no fuel to cool it it overheats and could burn up. I never run my car lower than 1/4 tank just to be on the safe side.:thumbsup:

gfcobra
09-17-2007, 07:10 PM
15 miles is about one gallon. If there is only a few gallons in the tank fill it up with the good stuff to dilute the bad stuff. :burnout:

Gary

ausie
10-02-2007, 09:49 AM
There should not be much of a problem. I would probably add octane booster (I use the lucas oil stuff, tune up in a bottle) once in a while to clean the fuel system. Fill it up with the 93 octane and take a sunday drive as suggested. The small amount of fuel would not pose much of an issue unless you filled the tank with the lower octane fuel. If you can find the Torco octane booster even better. Octane is a fuel molecule which is increased by the amount of cracking and refinement (type of catylist is used along with heat and pressure). Octane is more stable than the Heptane molecule which the bulk of the fuel in all grades. The higher concentration of Octane in the fuel the more stable the fuel becomes under compression and heat. Just filling up the tank with the 93 octane will be okay too if you want to skip out on the octane booster.