PDA

View Full Version : help please?

Alex951
09-22-2007, 11:13 PM
so i was driving around and i started hearing a creaking noise from my back left side, i couldnt figure out what it was, so i decided to take out the trunk lineing and found this http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/bloodlust951/SSPX0055.jpg (http://photobucket.com)

i have no clue how it happened, and ive only owned the car for about 2 weeks now, the welds failed i guess......... i was just wondering if this has happened to any one or know of anyone that this has happened too. i just want to know how much money im going to have to spend before i can drive my car again :(
any help will be great
thanks -Alex

red04svtcobra
09-23-2007, 08:00 AM
Man that sucks. I assume this is on the 99 cobra you have? If I were you I would contact the previous owner, dealership or whoever and find out about this. I wouldn't know how much it will take to fix but all I know is if I owned it I would definately be doing some research.

Bartman01
09-23-2007, 11:35 AM
With my 2001 I had an intermittent 'creaking' noise coming from the rear end. Took it to the dealership multiple times - they replaced the entire IRS about 3 times in the process of troubleshooting and eventually traced the issue to some incomplete/bad welds. Never really asked exactly where the welds were, but sounds similar to your issue. 'Good' news is that your problem may be a factory issue and not due to undisclosed damage.

Alex951
09-23-2007, 06:20 PM
i bought it from a private party, should i take it into the dealership? or just take it to an autobody shop?
ive been doing research ever since i found the problem, im pretty bumbed that i didnt look the car over more then i did....... but w/e im gunna fix it asap cuz i love driving that thing. esspecially when i pull up next to a honda lol

cobrabitn
09-23-2007, 08:40 PM
That is a factory flaw. If the previous owner did nothing to the the IRS then I would go to the Ford dealership and allow them the opportunity to fix the problem. If they don't agree to fix it then take the next step. There is no excuse for anyone to own a vehicle where the factory welds are coming apart. Not only is it dangerous to the owner but it is dangerous to the general public because it looks like your suspension may be doing one thing while you are trying to do another.

Alex951
09-23-2007, 09:30 PM
the only thing he did was change out the suspension with bilstein struts and eibach lowering springs.
void?

red04svtcobra
09-24-2007, 07:57 AM
If it was a known problem then they should fix it for you I would hope. As what Tony said ask them (dealership) first and if they say no then take it to the next level like maybe contact Ford!! Hope you get everything fixed and let us know what happens.

dewone
09-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Great advise from every one. With the suspension changes the dealership will only tell you they can't warranty it. I would check first.

Then if on warranty I would go to a weld shop and have then reweld it back in place, I think that is your cheapest avenue.

At least you have found the problem and have it exposed. A good weld shop would have that done in no time.

Alex951
09-24-2007, 08:40 PM
yup, im gunna go to a weld shop on saturday, its only gunna be about 50-100 bucks which i can afford, im also going to have a peice of rollcage tubing welded in between so this wont happen EVER again lol, or i could always put the steeda suspension mount thing in there and have that welded in. what do u all think?
thanks for all ur help this forum kicks a$$

cobrabitn
09-24-2007, 08:44 PM
First go to a competent dealership and see if they will honor fixing the car or ask if there was a TSB put out for that issue. If they do not agree to fix it, ask for the number of the "regional" Ford rep and explain the situation to him for repair.

The springs will/may void the warranty, the struts will not if they are a direct replacement for OEM struts/shocks.

I would also ask the previous owner what he/she knows about this issue. :doubt:

Alex951
09-25-2007, 01:40 AM
alright ill do that first, cuz that might be the cheapest rought to take, and im low on cash at the moment too. :(
thanks for all the help, its much appreciated