PDA

View Full Version : If you're thinking about going turbo....just do it

blk04cobra1
09-25-2007, 10:08 AM
I posted this in our forum, but thought you guys would like to see some results from my 2004 Cobra with twin 67's...this is on a built motor and 9lb wastegate springs (seeing 8lbs on the dyno)...The kit is a modified HP kit and to give you a reference, the car made 769rwhp on the stock motor at 18lbs :thumbsup: ...more boost to come once I get a few more things squared away...im thinking we should see 900rwhp on about 15-16lbs of boost and 1000rwhp at 20-21lbs...stayed tuned as it's going to get serious over the next few weeks :eek:

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/874087/Twin67at8lbs.jpg

Big Daddy
09-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Great Numbers! Congrats! :thumbsup:

red04svtcobra
09-25-2007, 11:21 AM
How much are you charging for rides? I could only imagine what that feels like, my car 500hp= fun to drive, 1000hp= holy crap I just lost my stomach!!!
Awesome #'s Torrey.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/lightning_015/smilies%20and%20funny%20pics/post-1-1138890464.jpg

Eric-Red94
09-25-2007, 11:41 AM
That should be a challenge to drive.

blk04cobra1
09-25-2007, 07:20 PM
That should be a challenge to drive.
it's actually pretty mild mannered until you hit the throttle...then it's a like a heavy weight against your chest :bounce:

NewFoundPower
09-25-2007, 07:49 PM
I have pondered the turbo vs supercharger question ever since I bought my car. I had been sure that as soon as the warranty was done that I would go turbo but after talking to a bunch of guys who have switched to a turbo set up, they said that they didn't enjoy driving the car on street as much as they used to. That unless the car was going to see alot of the track, to just simply get a twin-screw. I know each person has their own preferences when it comes to FI, would just like your opinion on how fun a turboed car is on the street. Thanks in advance.

-D-

blueblazes
09-25-2007, 11:45 PM
if only you had gone sonic blue :rotf:

blk04cobra1
09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I have pondered the turbo vs supercharger question ever since I bought my car. I had been sure that as soon as the warranty was done that I would go turbo but after talking to a bunch of guys who have switched to a turbo set up, they said that they didn't enjoy driving the car on street as much as they used to. That unless the car was going to see alot of the track, to just simply get a twin-screw. I know each person has their own preferences when it comes to FI, would just like your opinion on how fun a turboed car is on the street. Thanks in advance.

-D-
D, it's all in how you like to see your power. You can properly set up twin 50's or 57's and see full boost anywhere from 2800rpm's-3800rpm's. My setup does take a little longer to see full boost, but that's b/c of the larger turbo's. Turbo's in general are less parasitic on the motor. Take for example 17lbs on a KB/Whipple will net you around 620rwhp (depending on which dyno you are on)...take the same car with twin 57's and 17lbs and I gurantee you'll make anywhere upwards of 750rwhp b/c turbo's are more efficient. I don't necessarily care to spin my wheels off the line on the street, so the way my power delivery is set up, works well for my driving habits. I guess you really have to ride in a turbo car to really understand where im coming from. To give you another example, we did twin 57's on a stock 99 cobra and on the wastegate springs he made nearly 500rwhp (with only 12* of timing). One other thing to consider is your budget as well, turbo's do cost considerably more, but you also get a new suspension (with most kits). Anyways, let me know if you have anymore questions.

NewFoundPower
09-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the reply. There are many things about going turbo that appeal to me. You mentioned the decrease in parasitic loss which I find to be quite attractive, but one of the main reasons I have been leaning towards a turbo set up (other than the ridiculous power) is for the ability to change boost levels "on the fly" without having to change a pulley. I am just afraid that it is going to sacrifice the enjoyment I have when the supercharger kicks in and that torque at the lower rpms pushes you back into your seat. It puts a big grin on my face every single time and my blower is stock. But you are absolutely right, I need to get ahold of one of you turbo guys at a meet and get you to take me for a ride to see :D:thumbsup:.

Thanks again.

blk04cobra1
09-28-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. There are many things about going turbo that appeal to me. You mentioned the decrease in parasitic loss which I find to be quite attractive, but one of the main reasons I have been leaning towards a turbo set up (other than the ridiculous power) is for the ability to change boost levels "on the fly" without having to change a pulley. I am just afraid that it is going to sacrifice the enjoyment I have when the supercharger kicks in and that torque at the lower rpms pushes you back into your seat. It puts a big grin on my face every single time and my blower is stock. But you are absolutely right, I need to get ahold of one of you turbo guys at a meet and get you to take me for a ride to see :D:thumbsup:.

Thanks again.
That's exactly what you need to do...if you like the quick torque, but want to stay under 800rwhp, then i'd suggest the twin 50's...Smashedheadcat has the twin 50's and see's full boost at like 2800rpm's, so it'd be similar to a twin screw setup...i tell you what though, there's nothing like a pull from a turbo set up :rotf:

red04svtcobra
09-28-2007, 06:16 PM
i tell you what though, there's nothing like a pull from a turbo set up :rotf:I had a ride in a buick GN this year that had bigger turbos on it and it hauled AZZ, and pulled so hard it was unreal :D