PDA

View Full Version : Forced induction advice please

97BlackSnake
09-30-2007, 01:14 AM
It looks like I'm going to be putting a supercharger on the stang next weekend. This will be my first FI car and I'd appreciate some advice. It's a kenne bell for a 96 cobra and I'm planning on running 7-8 lbs. My first question is what size injectors would you recommend? I'm planning on getting a high flow fuel pump, is there anything else fuel related I should be worried about? My next question is on spark plugs. I know the gap I should use and that I should get one step colder, but what material works best for FI? Finally, what is the best place to get it tuned and about how much will it cost? I don't have too many mods up to this point, basically just an x-pipe, cat-back, and a K&N.

Thank you very much for any advice :thumbsup:

Dan

blk04cobra1
10-01-2007, 10:43 AM
It looks like I'm going to be putting a supercharger on the stang next weekend. This will be my first FI car and I'd appreciate some advice. It's a kenne bell for a 96 cobra and I'm planning on running 7-8 lbs. My first question is what size injectors would you recommend? I'm planning on getting a high flow fuel pump, is there anything else fuel related I should be worried about? My next question is on spark plugs. I know the gap I should use and that I should get one step colder, but what material works best for FI? Finally, what is the best place to get it tuned and about how much will it cost? I don't have too many mods up to this point, basically just an x-pipe, cat-back, and a K&N.

Thank you very much for any advice :thumbsup:

Dan
Dan, I would get yourself a set of 42lb injectors and a lightning meter. I would also invest in a 250lph fuel pump (sounds like you have that under control). Spark plugs, I would use NGK TR6 (4177 part number) and gap them around .034-.035. Tuning, I would recommend going to someone local and getting a dyno tune. Their are plenty of places who can email you a tune, but custom dyno tunes generally yield better numbers. Let me know if you have any more questions.

SuperG
10-01-2007, 01:02 PM
Yup...42 #/hr injectors is good for around 600 bhp, which you'll be under.

Once you get used to driving your boosted Cobra, you'll want to increase the boost...it's really easy. First you rebuild the engine for around $5500, then you get an intercooler, then you get the necessary pullies...easy, huh?

But you'll want to!!

Enjoy the install and the results!!

97BlackSnake
10-01-2007, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the advice guys :thumbsup: I know I'm going to want to turn the boost up probably a week after I get it on but I'll try to resist till I can afford to build up the short block :eek:

97BlackSnake
10-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Have any of you had experience with kenne bell's mail order chip/tune? I'm trying to find somewhere local but there have been alot of horror stories from the major tuning shop. They have blown up several engines in the past year or two on the dyno, people have had bad tunes, and others have had high performance parts installed incorrectly. I'm trying to track down a more reputable shop but it's proving to be rather difficult.

Thanks again for any help/advice :thumbsup:

Dan

tcrews
10-09-2007, 09:11 AM
With the KenneBelle it's pretty much a "done deal" setup. There are really no upgrades for that blower for your year car ('96-'98). You can go to a slightly smaller pulley but that's about it. There is no intercooler available, there is no boost blow-off valve and the efficiency of the blower starts to rapidly reduce when upping the rotation speeds (using a smaller pulley to increase boost).

Expect about 400 rwhp, maybe a little more before you run out of blower.

However....it's a great setup if you like that "kick in the pants" feel that lots of torque can give you. It comes on immediately and hard and will make the car very fun to drive.

When tuning go for safety/reliability, not power. Power gets you a nice expensive rebuild much much sooner than you'll want :) On the dyno, keep the A/F ratio in the mid 11's (11.5 is great). Once you hit the street and have to actually move the weight of the car (vs. just the dyno rollers) your A/F ratio will go up into the high 11s, low 12s...

cbrown9064
10-20-2007, 12:05 PM
Pay attention to what Tom is saying. I have been doing some research for my 96 and the 96-98 motors are a little different than the 99 and up motors.

Kenne Bell makes a 2.1L kit that has everything you need for safe operation. Gives an extra 135hp. After that, you will probably want different internals (rods, pistons) and then you can up the injectors, fuel pump, add an intercooler, etc...

If you do anything more than this Kenne Bell 2.1L kit, you will probably start needing to think about a different trans than the ole' T-45 and some rear end mods.

I have been thinking about it on my stock '96 and I do not want to ruin the motor or trans. A 135hp is a good jump.

From what I have seen and read, the 99 and up motors are much more suited to blowers than our engines.

Someone correct me If I am off here...

Chris

blueblazes
10-21-2007, 02:36 AM
+1 to what these guys have said.

if you havent already bought the kb might wanna look into a procharger/vortech unit. They wont give the instant hit a kb will give but you can put an aftercooler on them and turn the boost up some more.

97BlackSnake
10-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys :thumbsup: I finished up the install last week and got it tuned. I'm seeing 393 RWHP and 410 RWTQ! I'm very happy with how it turned out. This thing boosts so quick it's crazy and the torque is awesome. I'm at 370 RWTQ at just 2000 rpms. First gear isn't very useable right now since I also have 4.10's and not enough tire to handle it :eek: